Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about upper interchangeability

Feedback Score

Question about upper interchangeability

I currently own a BCM carbine length rifle.

If I were to purchase a BCM mid-length upper, are there any interchangeability issues I can expect, or should the upper plug right in and cycle just like the one that came with the rifle?

Do I need to replace the buffer?

Do I need to tweak anything?

The reason I ask is that years ago I owned two identical Colts, and out of curiosity I swapped the complete uppers with each other. The rifles believe it or not suddenly started cycling unreliably until I swapped the uppers back to their original rifle, leaving me to believe there was some little tweak that needed to be made.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    The reason I ask is that years ago I owned two identical Colts, and out of curiosity I swapped the complete uppers with each other. The rifles believe it or not suddenly started cycling unreliably until I swapped the uppers back to their original rifle, leaving me to believe there was some little tweak that needed to be made.
    The AR system is supposed to be plug and play. it is supposed to, and should work just fine. that being said, what happened to you before does sometimes happen. You can not say when it will happen, if it will ever happen again. heck, it can happen on a new build. just takes a little detective work to get it right if it does. if it does happen, there are a few people on this site that can help you figure it out and get it running again.

Feedback Score
    Since you are changing to different gas system you may also want to test out different buffer weights to find which cycles the best for you. Since the pressures are different between the carbine and middy, a heavier buffer might be needed
    Simunition Instructor
    Colt Law Enforcement M-16/AR-15 Armorer
    Glock Pistol Armorer

"In Valor there is Hope"

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Midlength = less pressure = lighter buffer

Quote Originally Posted by ArmySGTPM View Post
    Since you are changing to different gas system you may also want to test out different buffer weights to find which cycles the best for you. Since the pressures are different between the carbine and middy, a heavier buffer might be needed
    B.A.S. Mechanical Engineering Technology

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric D. View Post
    Midlength = less pressure = lighter buffer
    Yes but you will want to try at least a H buffer in a middy versus the carbine that probably is running in the carbine he has. Its good to try all sorts to find the one that works the best and most reliable
    Simunition Instructor
    Colt Law Enforcement M-16/AR-15 Armorer
    Glock Pistol Armorer

"In Valor there is Hope"

Feedback Score
    All true as far as function, but you may want to look closely...I don't worry too much about tight or wiggle between upper and lower, but I have noticed with certain charging handle/upper/lower combinations, there is extra wear-rubbing between the bottom rear of the CH and the lower receiver...where you pull the CH back.
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score
    Do you have an H buffer now? I'd suspect it will work fine with the middy or carbine gas uppers. Test with you lightest loads to be sure.

Feedback Score
    Well, I'm debating now.

I was going to order the DD mid-length upper for my DDXV, but now I'm wondering if I'd be better off just selling the complete DDXV rifle and ordering the full mid-length rifle on the theory that I won't have to do any troubleshooting.

I know it would be less expensive to just get the upper, but range time is hard to come by for me lately.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 01-20-11 at 16:51.

Feedback Score
    I guess it depends on if you want the full factory warranty on the midlength. No doubt it's the safe way to go but I really don't think it'll be a big deal swapping a middy upper on your lower however you do lose the full rifle warranty. On the other hand you don't have another firearm in your name if you swap uppers.

Guess you have to run the numbers to see the cost of both options.

Also if your present lower says Savannah, GA the new one probably will say Black Creek, GA. Of course they're not far apart but I love the name Savannah.

BTW, I just got my Daniel Defense 16" midlength and it dropped on my S&W lower nicely. Didn't get to fire it today but everything looks good and works smoothly.

Feedback Score
    Doc, I see no reason for you to follow that course, of selling this to get that. Any increased value would be countered by the cost of sales...unless someone wants to give you more than it's worth (could happen). Warranties should exist for problems regardless.
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast