Thread: installing pinned fsb on stripped barrel

Feedback Score

installing pinned fsb on stripped barrel

Have any of you tried doing this? I'd imagine that pinning the fsb would be a hard job since alignment of the sight would be affected by this.

Feedback Score
    your better of not trying it unless your a competent gunsmith/machinist.

i believe DD sells barrels with them already pinned.
    Last edited by nihilbilly; 01-30-11 at 06:19.

Feedback Score
    There's a jig made by a member, IIRC, for this specific job. It align aligns the fsb and keeps it in place while you drill and ream for taper pins.
    Why not just get a barrel with a pinned fsb, or a full upper even?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have an 11.5 BCM barrel and an FSB sitting around and I keep meaning to get the same thing done, so I've been looking around. I'd never try to do this myself.

Adco will do it for $90 if you supply the FSB, $130 if they supply it (you can buy an F-marked FSB at BCM for $30). They will also smooth off the front ramp flashing and re-parkerize for an additional $30 and/or grind off the useless bayonet lug (and swivel ears, I hope) for $15 . So I'm contemplating $135 to get my FSB smoothed, de-lugged, and taper-pinned. I'm hoping I can send my delta ring/barrel nut and handguard ring for them to slip on before installing the FSB.

A DD barrel with the FSB already installed would have been substantially cheaper, but in that case my choices were either a 10.3 inch or a 12.5, and I wanted an 11.5 in barrel, based on my experience with other SBR barrel configurations and my very positive experience with BCM short barrels.

/
    Last edited by Hmac; 01-30-11 at 07:37.

Feedback Score

thanks for the replies guys.

as to why i got it this way, i live in a country where ar parts are kinda hard to get and you take what is available. The more readily available brands are bushmaster, dpms and generic barrels. A lot of good gunsmiths are here though so I'll just bring it to them. The farthest I plan on shooting will be probably 300 meters so i don't really need an ultra accurate setup, just a reliable one. I thought that this was an impossible job and I'd have to resort to getting a low profile gas block and a rail rather than a fixed front sight and plastic hand guards which i originally planned.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    It will be accurate enough. But, if the FSB is not installed correctly then you will have issues of it short-stroking due to the gas port being obstructed.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    thanks for the replies guys.

as to why i got it this way, i live in a country where ar parts are kinda hard to get and you take what is available. The more readily available brands are bushmaster, dpms and generic barrels. A lot of good gunsmiths are here though so I'll just bring it to them. The farthest I plan on shooting will be probably 300 meters so i don't really need an ultra accurate setup, just a reliable one. I thought that this was an impossible job and I'd have to resort to getting a low profile gas block and a rail rather than a fixed front sight and plastic hand guards which i originally planned.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nihilbilly View Post
    your better of not trying it unless your a competent gunsmith/machinist.
    I agree.