Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: $50-70 Daily Carry Knife?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I went to a local sporting goods store today and they had the Kershaw Leeks on sale for like $26. I picked up a silver non-serrated one, and I love it. I wasn't intending to buy a knife today, and I really wanted a black one, but that was too good to pass up. I actually left the store and then went back in to buy it lol.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My EDC for several years now has been the Kershaw Blur Tanto.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Dano5326 Guest
    I prefer Kershaw USA line, many good products.

The Spyderco's make me wince, I have seen so many of them unlock under stress when they were new in the 90's. Bad lock mechanism & placement IMO not a work knife.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    +1 for Spyderco Endura 4. I would go with the full flat ground blade and no serrations. If you go the Spyderco route, look at the Emerson speed assist open mod. Basically you put a couple tiny zip ties in the opening hole and snag it on your pocket on the way out and BAM you have an open blade ready for cutting (that pesky string on your shirt).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dano5326 View Post
    I prefer Kershaw USA line, many good products.

The Spyderco's make me wince, I have seen so many of them unlock under stress when they were new in the 90's. Bad lock mechanism & placement IMO not a work knife.
    Never had a Spyder open or close inappropriately. You should check out their various newer locking options.--Compression lock, caged ball bearing lock, and the Collins bolt action lock. You can also get some models in Ti frame locks if you prefer.

Kershaws Onion line though, I HAVE had open inappropriately. That speed safe isn't safe at all if you drop the knife. Yes I know they come with the little slide lock for the blade, but that sort of negates having the speed safe assisted opening!
    Last edited by dave5339; 01-22-11 at 09:12.

Feedback Score
    I like the cold steel AK-47(new model). The locks on these are stout and the blade is very easy to get scary sharp. The textured handle is also very grippy.

I also have a Rajah III and the steel on the blade is not quite as workable as the AK and the profile sucks for sharpening. Also the back(spine?) of the blade has a weird curve that makes using the "waveish" feature less effective. I plan on taking the back of the blade to a grinder and straightining it out. I do prefer the blade shape for actual use though as it gathers and cuts stuff quite effectively.

I did use a Kershaw Leek(unfortunately limited edition) for about 5 years befor I lost it last year. The knife was both sharp and handy. It was also NOT a utility blade and because of the sleekness I found myself not beeing able to use it as much as a hardier knife(I work in a factory in the auto industry). I think this knife is a great everyday knife for the price if you never intend to rely on a knife or if you carry a heavier duty knife already(I used it as a backup to my gerber which I beat the tar out of).

No knocking the Leek just putting its use, as I saw it, in perspective.
    You can never make anyting idiot-proof, whenever you get close they just build a better idiot.

Feedback Score
    24 (96%)
    Im happy with my Spyderco Endura 4 and Delica 4. I carry them both regularly.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mnoe82 View Post
    Im happy with my Spyderco Endura 4 and Delica 4. I carry them both regularly.
    What blade and handle do you have?

Feedback Score
    I bought four plain edge Spyderco Delica 4's a couple years ago for around $200 and they have been serving me well. The plan was to carry them two at a time with the ability to replace a lost or damaged knife instantly or return them for factory resharpening, but I have learned to be able to keep them hair shaving sharp with the Spyderco Tri-Sharp setup. I cut lots of shipping and packing materials at work and carry for self defense purposes so the ability to keep them sharp was important to me.

I believe they were around 49.95 each when I got them, they are up a bit in price now:

http://www.amazon.com/Delica-Black-F...5747730&sr=8-2
    Last edited by BrianS; 01-22-11 at 19:58.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Another vote for Benchmade Axis lock knives here. You can get surprisingly good deals on some of them if you search hard enough.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast