Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Input on G2 LED issues?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Input on G2 LED issues?

Has anyone ever experienced any issues with their G2 LED flickering on and off? The reason I ask is because I've been experiencing some issues with my new G2 LED I received about a month or so ago. When the tailcap is turned far enough clockwise that the momentary-on feature is activated any (slight) pressure placed anywhere on the tailcap causes the light to flicker on and off. I emailed SF and they sent me a replacement tail-cap but I'm still experiencing the same issue. Does anyone have any input on how to fix this issue myself, or is my best bet just to see if I can get it replaced? SF's customer service has been a pleasure to deal with by the way. I've been very pleased with them so far.
    Last edited by DaBears_85; 01-24-11 at 17:17. Reason: Spelling
    WTB:
    SA M-7 Classic blonde stock sets
    Bulgy ((10))/((E)) steel mags
    Bulgy T3 takeoff stock sets
    30-caliber magazine clips?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    There is notch on the body and tail cap. line it up and start adjust turn from there. If it's too far out, any flash light will do that.

And make sure bezel is tight. (Using low quality batteries?)

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Shouldn't happen...

I can't get any of my lights (G2Ls or other) to do that regardless of how they're adjusted.

I'd just return it for a new one.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    If the tailcap is too close to turning the light on, it gets pretty sensitive. Try backing the tailcap off another quarter or half turn.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    DaBears_85, I had the same issue. I found that the plastic coating on the batteries had worn over time due to recoil. This exposed the underlying conductive metal of the battery, and was contacting the metal inner wall of the flashlight causing the flickering. You can replace the batteries, or do what I did. I didn't want to waste the batteries because they were still good. Instead I laid them on my desk stacked like they go into the light and wraped them in a single layer of clear tape. Box tape or scotch tape will work. Problem solved and no more flickering since.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sammage View Post
    If the tailcap is too close to turning the light on, it gets pretty sensitive. Try backing the tailcap off another quarter or half turn.
    This has been my experience too.

Feedback Score
    Also check the soldering on the lamp assembly. My 4-year old lamp developed a crack and the light started to flicker. SF offered to replace it but a little bit of reinforcement and the problem went away.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skang View Post
    There is notch on the body and tail cap. line it up and start adjust turn from there. If it's too far out, any flash light will do that.

And make sure bezel is tight. (Using low quality batteries?)
    The bezel is as tight as it's going to get. I even tried playing with different degrees of tightness on the bezel, but no dice.

I'm using SF's 123A batteries that were included in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiet-Matt View Post
    DaBears_85, I had the same issue. I found that the plastic coating on the batteries had worn over time due to recoil. This exposed the underlying conductive metal of the battery, and was contacting the metal inner wall of the flashlight causing the flickering. You can replace the batteries, or do what I did. I didn't want to waste the batteries because they were still good. Instead I laid them on my desk stacked like they go into the light and wraped them in a single layer of clear tape. Box tape or scotch tape will work. Problem solved and no more flickering since.
    That's a good idea, thanks for the advice. The batteries still have their 'skin' as the light is relatively new. I tried your idea anyway but it didn't change anything. The tail-caps both have a considerable amount of play in them up until the point when they reach the constant-on setting. Since I've used two separate tail-caps with the same result I'm starting to think the problem is with the body of the light, possibly the threading on the tail-end.
    WTB:

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerm View Post
    Shouldn't happen...

I can't get any of my lights (G2Ls or other) to do that regardless of how they're adjusted.

I'd just return it for a new one.
    That's what I'm leaning towards. I just wanted to see if it was something I could resolve myself as this light resides on my HD gun and I don't wanna be without a light on it for any longer than I have to.

Quote Originally Posted by sammage View Post
    I see what you're saying but it does this as soon as it gets to the point of it's momentary-on feature. Actually, it even does it a little counter-clockwise past the point of where it's supposed to be off.

Quote Originally Posted by memberonly View Post
    Also check the soldering on the lamp assembly. My 4-year old lamp developed a crack and the light started to flicker. SF offered to replace it but a little bit of reinforcement and the problem went away.
    The soldering looks good to go, at least as far as my experience can dictate.
    WTB:

Feedback Score
    My 6Ps will also activate if there is sideways pressure on the tailcap if the tailcap is tightened down too much. Back it off some and test it as you back off as suggested.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast