Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How far forward is your Aimpoint mounted?

Feedback Score

How far forward is your Aimpoint mounted?

Just curious as to how far forward the masses are mounting their Aimpoints and why? Please include which model Aimpoint, mount model, general rifle set-up.

I ran my ML3 in a LT129 flush with the front end up the upper on a middy with drop-in two piece quad rails for about 4 years. It has done very well like this for me. I pick up the dot faster than I can drive the rest of the gun this way. I now have different handguards(Apex 12.5") which mount to a stock/bare bbl nut, but it has no anti-rotation device. Maybe it would never be an issue, but I'm thinking about kicking the mount forward enough to engage the first lug to the HG top rail to lock it all up. It seems to me that it will be sturdy enough to hold(zero) considering the mount is still engaging 3/4 of rail that it had a grip on before.

So, should the LT129 be GTG hanging slightly off the front of the upper?

Thank You
    Patrick Scott

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This is just one of many threads on this subject. You might do some more searches if this doesn't answer your questions. Traditionally 3gunners (in my neck of the woods) preferred the RDS as far away as possible, but 3gun is not combat and for combat others prefer a variety of positions. I think it is preference and vision dependent and the tube size that are factors you need to consider. The smaller the tube (T1) will need to be closer "if" you shoot from unorthodox positions and you really need to just do the RDS Zoom back & forth on your rail until you find what is right for you. I did this by trying it at the far end, then the closest end working my way between the 2 until it found its sweet spot. I'm still not entirely convinced that it won't get moved again I do prefer the T1 closer than my M4S.

Here is a good thread and F2S is one of the most knowledgeable/respected members on this forum

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=28996
    Last edited by M4Fundi; 01-25-11 at 02:47.
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Feedback Score
    I have an M4s. I mount it just forward enough so I can use my buis.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4Fundi View Post

Here is a good thread and F2S is one of the most knowledgeable/respected members on this forum

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=28996
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Try this out-
    Make a "ok" sign with your right hand, with the "hole" in your index finger just slightly smaller than a dime. Hold the hole about 1 inch away from your dominant eye.

The other eye fills in the image blocked by the bulk of the finger, making the finger appear transparent.

Now move your hand a foot away from your eye and look through the hole. While the other eye still makes up for the blocked image, the finger seems to be more opaque.

Moving the optic further away also makes it a bit harder to find the dot due to the reduction in angle of acceptable eye placement.
    I liked this from that thread and tried it out. Will make think twice about where I might put an optic when I get one. I had assumed I would want it nearer to my eye and now understand why I see it pushed out further in pictures of other users rifles.

Feedback Score
    When I used the M series I mounted as far forward as I could on the receiver with a Larue 1/3 mount. Now I use a T1 and moved it back about 1'' to 1 1/8'' to get a larger field of view.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Since I use my Aimpoint with both eyes open, the field of view is as large as my normal vision. Mounting it as far forward as possible on the receiver works fine for me.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My 16" middy has the M4s mounted so the front lenscap is even with the front edge of the upper reciever. It's mounted on a Larue QD.

My 14.5" middy has the T1 centered over the ejection port on a DD fixed mount.

Feedback Score
    Like many others, I have my H-1 in a Larue QD mount as far forward as it can be on the receiver. It's on a BCM 16" middy. I like it there, because I don't end up with the tunnel vision that I've noticed with a scope or sight mounted farther back.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have mine far enough forward to get a magnifier in there if I want it.

Last edited by Hmac; 01-25-11 at 21:41.

Feedback Score
    Right now mine is as far forward on the rail as it can go, although this setup is pretty recent so I'm not 100% set on anything. It seems pretty natural out there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast