Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone here shortened a KAC SR-15 barrel?

Feedback Score

Has anyone here shortened a KAC SR-15 barrel?

I want to shorten the barrel on my SR-15 to 14.5" an permanently attach a flash hider, I'm not sure which one yet. Has anyone done this? I have a newish rifle which I believe to have the "larger" gas port. Running a Vltor A5 receiver extension with the standard 5 ounce buffer. I shoot Brown Bear and my only concern is that cutting off 1.5" of barrel may cost me some dwell time/back pressure and may cause me to start having short stroking issues any thoughts?

I don't want to get into a discussion of the merits of commie steel cased ammo, it allows me to shoot the same amount for a third less. That may not matter to you, but it does to me.

Thanks, Andy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I shortened a barrel from 16" to roughly 14.7" and didn't have to change the gas port size.

But I think it will all depend on how big your gas port already is.

What I would do is measure it, then pose the question with that information. ADCO has experience with shortening barrels and probably can provide input on whether the gas port needs to be opened.

Feedback Score
    I have shortened 3 of them.

Mostly to 11.1'', but one of my guns was 14.5'' before I shortened it again. (Waste of money, I should have done it right the first time...)

What you're suggesting *I think* WILL have shortstroking issues. Stick with the standard receiver extension, and CAR buffer.

Don't open the gas port, BTW.
    Last edited by Magic_Salad0892; 07-13-11 at 17:25.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    I have shortened 3 of them.

Mostly to 11.1'', but one of my guns was 14.5'' before I shortened it again. (Waste of money, I should have done it right the first time...)

What you're suggesting *I think* WILL have shortstroking issues. Stick with the standard receiver extension, and CAR buffer.

Don't open the gas port, BTW.
    Hey could I bother you to get some advice on how to do this? I have a SR15 and think it would be perfect if the barrel was shorter like 10'-12' range. Is it just a matter of finding a gunsmith to shorten it? Or would it be ok to say purchase a Noveske barrel to do so? Do I also need to mess with the buffer, etc? Any help would be appreciated.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Using lower pressured ammo, a vltor A5 and shortening the barrel sounds like a recipe for shortstroking to me. You may be OK with a standard RE and CAR buffer, but its still a crapshoot with ruskie ammo.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I wanted to cut my barrel down from 16 to 14.5 but my rifle is reliable with all types of ammo and I wanted to be able to take my BattleComp off and run my can when I choose to.
    I've decided to SBR a lower and go with a 12 inch upper as money allows rather than altering something that already works.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchie View Post
    I wanted to cut my barrel down from 16 to 14.5 but my rifle is reliable with all types of ammo and I wanted to be able to take my BattleComp off and run my can when I choose to.
    I've decided to SBR a lower and go with a 12 inch upper as money allows rather than altering something that already works.
    Actually this is the much prudent decision. I'll be going this route.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsong76 View Post
    Actually this is the much prudent decision. I'll be going this route.
    That's what I was told by folks that are smarter than me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rsong76 View Post
    Hey could I bother you to get some advice on how to do this? I have a SR15 and think it would be perfect if the barrel was shorter like 10'-12' range. Is it just a matter of finding a gunsmith to shorten it? Or would it be ok to say purchase a Noveske barrel to do so? Do I also need to mess with the buffer, etc? Any help would be appreciated.
    Rip the URX off, send it to ADCO, have them drill the port to MilSpec size, unless you plan to suppress the gun.

Use MilSpec RE, and H buffer, using USGI springs, test with M855. Adjust accordingly.

Noveske barrel would cost a lot of money, and I don't see why you'd do it.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm not trying to ridicule your idea, but I'd like to ask what the purpose would be to cut a 16" down to 14.5" only to have to perm pin a fh in place, bringing the length back up to 16". I understand if you planned to SBR it, but IMO, wouldn't the benefit of an actual 16" barrel be better to have if you are going to be in the 16" range either way?
    When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.. - Ronald Reagan

smoke and drink and screw..that's what I was born to do.. - Steel Panther

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast