Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VLTOR MUR Assembly?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

VLTOR MUR Assembly?

How is the FA/deflector attatched to the MUR? Basically...is it solid...will it contain pressure from a case-rupture...does it wiggle...etc.

I saw a post a while back where someone was complaining about the difficulty of getting the ejection-port cover off for replacement with a laser engraved version. Is the MUR different this this respect as well from a standard upper?

ETA: I just went to their website and Vltor advertises the MUR as having Type II anodizing. Why the hell would they spend the time to make such a "strong" upper just to give it decorative anodizing? Wierd. Multi-piece beauty queen anyone? Not liking this : /
    Last edited by WS6; 05-20-10 at 23:03.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    If it's a problem, the LaRue, Sun Devil, Rainier, and MEGA offerings are certainly out there - I'd go with any of those if you're concerned.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    The assembly is dovtailed into the upper. A roll pin holds the unit from sliding out ( towards the back of the upper )

The reason someone said that it was difficult getting the ejection port covers off was because it requires you to remove the FA / deflector module . Its easy to put the pin on backwards ( like a traditional AR where the extra length goes towards the muzzle ) When you do this with a MUR the pin slides out of the hole on the left side of port cover.

I found this out the hard way !

I have no reason to doubt that it could handle pressure like a tranditional upper. Even though the module lookes relatively large, the upper reciever only has a small window that the forward assist passes through to so you have the forged reciever walls holding it together...not the forward assist / case deflector module

This module is precisely machined to fit into the upper with a dovetail. The two I have exhibit no play

See pics below

The MUR is machined from a pretty beefy forging ( current models are forgings )

Left to right we have the Sun Devil, a RRA standard flatop, Vltor. You can see the module sits ON a heavy wall forging . Top view shows how much the module protrudes

Notice the ejection cover hinge pin protrudes to the RHS on the Sun Devil ( and traditional uppers ) . The Vltor it goes the other way.

Last edited by trg42; 05-21-10 at 17:52.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    THANKYOU! I see, I SEE! Awesome pix. All I could find were from like 3 angles, over and over again, none showing how it went togather.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's a total piece of cake to remove and replace it. I did mine no problem to install my dust cover door, as seen here:

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    ETA: I just went to their website and Vltor advertises the MUR as having Type II anodizing. Why the hell would they spend the time to make such a "strong" upper just to give it decorative anodizing? Wierd.
    it's a typo. they're type 3 hard coat anodized.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jafount View Post
    It's a total piece of cake to remove and replace it. I did mine no problem to install my dust cover door, as seen here:

Whoes ejection port cover is that?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghunterCO View Post
    Whoes ejection port cover is that?
    They have some like it here:http://www.harengser.com/store/prodd...R15_EJ_Gadsden
    JOHN 3:16

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    it's a typo. they're type 3 hard coat anodized.
    Ah, gotcha! Thanks!

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Does anyone know the weight diff between a VLTOR MUR stripped upper with FA as compared to a standard one like a DD M4 stripped upper? I am going to step out on a limb here and speculate that the diff is 1.5 ounces.

By the way, the SUn Devil is sweet looking also. I want both. It's a good thing AR15s are cheaper than sports cars.
    Last edited by 500grains; 06-02-10 at 11:10.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast