Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Green Mountain AR-15 Barrels?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Okay, sweetheart....

You've been posting at the damned cyclic rate for the last two days, and ALL of it has been surface fluff with no meat, with only a couple engineered to provide the appearance of having anything to do with the topic (usually when the question has already been answered).

This is your public notice: Postwhoring for the purposes of running up one's post-count will not be tolerated, dual-cool avatar or not.

So, your choices are the following: 1) start putting some actual content in your posts, that they may slow down to something approaching a reasonable rate that provides contributing material, 2) stop posting until you can post something that contributes to the forum, or 3) just get banned.

PM me with your decided course of action.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    Sorry for the long delay on getting pic's posted. It took me this long to figure out how to upload them

(I don't know if this is going to work or not. Sorry guys, I'm not that internet savvy.)

http://s1232.photobucket.com/albums/...elUpper002.jpg

There is nothing fancy about this weapon.

Overstock Spikes upper/lower with a DD parts kit.

Rock River 2-stage trigger (after fiddling with it a bit it breaks crisply at 2.7 lbs)

Magpul PRS stock (nice stock but heavy)

15"Midwest Industries SS free float tube (easy to install)

Vltor low pro gas block (under the rail)

Harris bipod

Ergo grip

http://s1232.photobucket.com/albums/...elUpper004.jpg

Yes I cherry picked this example. It was the best of a five target,5shots per target string I did when testing the barrel. Even so... a 3/8's inch group is kinda nice

Have fun people... and stay safe,

Regards,

TJ

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Hammer_Man View Post
    Even so... a 3/8's inch group is kinda nice
    What was the distance?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EzGoingKev View Post
    What was the distance?
    LOL...I'm a dolt!

That will teach me to play on the internet before coffee!

ok.. lets try this again..

Distance: 100 yrds
    (conditions= sunny afternoon/no breeze about 86F)

Ammunition used: Hornady 55 gr TAP
    (I generally use issue ammo for testing)

Group size: Just under 3/8"
    (Didn't have my micrometer with me.)

This was the best group out of five. After sight in groups averaged 1/2" to 3/4"

Hope this clears up any muddle.

Regards,

TJ

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Sorry for the long delay on getting pic's posted. It took me this long to figure out how to upload them

(I don't know if this is going to work or not. Sorry guys, I'm not that internet savvy.)

http://s1232.photobucket.com/albums/...elUpper002.jpg

There is nothing fancy about this weapon.

Overstock Spikes upper/lower with a DD parts kit.

Rock River 2-stage trigger (after fiddling with it a bit it breaks crisply at 2.7 lbs)

Magpul PRS stock (nice stock but heavy)

15"Midwest Industries SS free float tube (easy to install)

Vltor low pro gas block (under the rail)

Harris bipod

Ergo grip

http://s1232.photobucket.com/albums/...elUpper004.jpg

Yes I cherry picked this example. It was the best of a five target,5shots per target string I did when testing the barrel. Even so... a 3/8's inch group is kinda nice

Have fun people... and stay safe,

Regards,

TJ
    let me help you

Last edited by Merle; 06-17-11 at 23:22.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Nice barrel for the money

I just assembled a rifle for a buddy with a Green Mountain 16" fluted 1/7 barrel, a S&W lower, Vltor MUR upper, Troy MRF-MX rail and a Spikes BCG. It seems like a nice barrel. Light weight and the machining and finish look great. Accuracy was as good as one could expect from a 16" barrel with cheap ammo. There is a nice recessed crown hiding under the flash hider. It is markeed 5.56 but I can not say for certain if it is as I have no way of checking it. It functioned flawlessly through 200 rounds of Federal .223 55gr fmj during its first trip to the range after being put together. My buddy was pretty happy with it. I went ahead and ordered another one for a lightweight build of my own.
    Link to barrel: http://www.gunkings.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=1508

Last edited by Merle; 06-17-11 at 23:42.

Feedback Score
    I assembled a rifle a month or so ago that included a GreenMountain Barrel. 16 in M4 profile chromlined with a 1/7 twist. Fit and finish was excellent. Gun will shoot MOA at 100 yds. These were handloads. I did have a conversation on the phone with GM and i was told that the chambers were 5.56. Loaded some hot stuff and shot some Milspec ball not one sign of overpressure. Very satisfied i will look to buy another when i build another.
    Photo is a 20 round string. Actually 2 ten shot strings at 100 yds

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the pic assist Merle !

One of these days I'll figure out how to do that.

Very nice build btw.. how's it shoot with heavier rounds? I've been getting above average to superior results with 77 gr SMK ammo at intermediate (under 350 yrds) distances with that exact barrel.

For the price point I have to hand it to GM for producing such nice barrels.

On a technical note:

I've noticed that results vary, sometimes significantly, depending on if I use a forged versus a billet upper receiver. Obviously with the billet upper being more rigid that the accuracy results will be more consistent.

Have you noticed this too? Or am I just being OCD ?

Regards,

TJ

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Thanks for the pic assist Merle !

One of these days I'll figure out how to do that.

Very nice build btw.. how's it shoot with heavier rounds? I've been getting above average to superior results with 77 gr SMK ammo at intermediate (under 350 yrds) distances with that exact barrel.

For the price point I have to hand it to GM for producing such nice barrels.

On a technical note:

I've noticed that results vary, sometimes significantly, depending on if I use a forged versus a billet upper receiver. Obviously with the billet upper being more rigid that the accuracy results will be more consistent.

Have you noticed this too? Or am I just being OCD ?

Regards,

TJ
    I didn't get a chance to shoot any good ammo through it as it is my buddies rifle now and I doubt if he ever will try anything other than 55gr, but I do reload most of my own ammo and I've been meaning to load up some heavier stuff for my AR. As far as the upper receiver affecting accuracy I couldn't say but I know it can't hurt accuracy. I have a vltor upper receiver on a 14.5" 1/7 colt barrelled upper that I can consistently ring the 18" gong with that is at my range that is hanging at 192 yards with open sights using my 55gr fmj reloads.

Feedback Score
    Sorry for the side track from the original OP but, I had noticed a subtle but significant difference between billet receivers and forged when using CM ( chrome moly) barrels w/ government profiles.

The forged upper receivers seemed to take longer, subjectively, to harmonically reset. IE, it took longer for the vibration induced by discharging the weapon to damp out completely. This has led me personally to using billet uppers and lowers almost exclusively in my personal weapons. (even if they are a tad heavier)

Just wondered if anyone else had noticed this.
    Last edited by The_Hammer_Man; 06-18-11 at 11:30.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast