Thread: Question re buying/selling used pistols

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Question re buying/selling used pistols

I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this question. I've never bought a used firearm from an individual. I'm wondering how much information to provide, if asked.

I one add the seller wanted a copy of buyer's drivers license or CCL. If I was selling a firearm, I'd like some personal information from the buyer as well. However, I'm not comfortable giving a copy of my DL/CCL to a stranger.

What is standard operating procedure for face-to-face, individual firearm sales? Any particular laws I need to be aware of in Texas?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In Texas all you really have to do is prove that you are of age to own the firearm. You don't have to provide a DL # or any of your personal info. Some like to do a bill of sale, and that works if it comforts you.

Feedback Score
    It's been a long time since I lived in TX so I don't want to comment on the state's current laws. However, even if the state doesn't require paperwork, it is not uncommon for a seller to request to see the buyer's Concealed Carry Permit so he knows the buyer has been through and passed at least one background check. I've seen that as common practice in the last two states I've lived in where private FTF deals/transfers are permitted. -Also some people draw up a bill of sale and want your DL or Conceal Carry Permit number.

There's the law and then there's your comfort level. Some individuals don't want any paper trail either way. Others want something just in case the gun turns up at a crime scene or a firearm turns up reported as stolen. -My take on it is who wants to have to explain what a firearm they used to own is doing at a meth lab by a dead body and if you happen to get a gun that is reported stolen you probably want to be able to prove who you got it from so you can get your money back.
    "Looks like I'm the only one here with a mug full of antidote."

"If I'm standing on it, it's America..."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Not sure what the laws are in TX (I'm in Alaska), but whenever I sell a gun I always write up a receipt with the gun's serial number, the name of of the buyer, his/her contact info, and then I have them sign and date it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    In Texas all you really have to do is prove that you are of age to own the firearm.
    You also have to prove you're a Texas resident. For my purposes, simply seeing a valid TX Driver's License or CHL was adequate to fulfill this requirement, I did not record the numbers.
    Last edited by ChicagoTex; 01-28-11 at 01:48.

Feedback Score
    A bill of sale is not required here in Florida. I have executed them without any problem with both sides getting the cwp info on the other.

My reasoning as a buyer is that I have some proof of the date of purchase and whom I purchased it from if at some later date there is an issue with the gun.

As a seller, I'm comforted in having the date if sale if once again there is an issue at a later date with the gun. In the big picture as a seller, by having the info I have proof that I did not simply blundly hand over my firearm to a felon etc...

Feedback Score
    Don't give your drivers l # to anyone in any state. Where law permits, a bill of sale with serial # should be adequate. If you are uncomfortable or laws are specific, let a FFL dealer keep track of anything other than a gun's serial #.