Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CTC LightGuard: new light option for M&P9 CCW?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

CTC LightGuard: new light option for M&P9 CCW?

Now that CCW is FINALLY going to be a reality in Wisconsin, I'm considering a potential carry setup using my M&P9. I do have a Utah permit, but have never actually carried on a daily basis before.

One thing I've always thought about is whether to mount a white light or not for daily carry. I've always been put off by the bulk of standard pistol lights like the X300. Now, CTC has announced their new LightGuard product, which looks like it integrates a very streamlined 100 lumen LED with a DEVGRU-type switch:

The LightGuard series are supposed to be available in April (so maybe August in reality) and I'm sure I can either get a custom IWB holster made or get one from CTC's lineup. I'm really attracted to the minimal weight and profile of this light, and I know CTC makes the best pistol lasers out there. My only hesitation is with the switch: grabbing the gun activates the light, vs using your support side fingers to activate a switch. Probably a training thing, but wanted to see if any of you experienced CCW permit holders had any enlightenment for me.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    Looks like it might have some promise...

As for the activation switch, I agree with you it'll be a training issue for most people but there is some popularity with the DG switch on Surefire lights and this looks similar. So I can see this being a cheaper (albeit unproven reliable at this point) solution for those as you said who don't want the bulk of a WPL like a X300 or TLR.
    It is not length of life, but depth of life. - Emerson
    My boy Ducks fav quote - RIP brother

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Neat idea, but there are no holsters for this set up. Perhaps it can serve a role as a bedside gun

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by aflin View Post
    Neat idea, but there are no holsters for this set up. Perhaps it can serve a role as a bedside gun
    If this product works as advertised, I'm sure I can solve the holster puzzle one way or another...
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Looked at these at Shot and I don't know if the battery was run down or not, but the output was VERY low.

C4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Very slim line design!!! I want to try one out. Any release date info out?

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    I think that for a civilian CCW that a separate handheld light is the ticket. You'll use the light more than the gun I can assure you and it avoids the holster dilemma entirely.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    I think that for a civilian CCW that a separate handheld light is the ticket. You'll use the light more than the gun I can assure you and it avoids the holster dilemma entirely.
    Weaponlights have a purpose. As is, they're currently hugenormous and pose a carry issue for most users.

If i can have my cake im sure as hell going to eat it too.

These lightguards give me the option to add a light to my gun without unnecessary bulk and switches that force me to compromise my grip.

Im sold. This does not mean i will stop carrying a handheld light however.

Feedback Score
    The LightGuard is a neat idea but I definitely prefer to keep the light and pistol separate. I understand there are times where having the light mounted on the pistol are useful but there are more times where one will only need a light. Unfortunately, when people mount lights on handguns they tend to treat their pistols like flashlights. I can appreciate having the LightGuard as another "tool in the box" accessory, but it would not replace my flashlight.
    "Looks like I'm the only one here with a mug full of antidote."

"If I'm standing on it, it's America..."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    I agree. I carry a Fenix PD20 clipped to my weak-side front pocket, and it's small enough that I don't even notice it.

I have never had to draw my handgun, but I use the light often. Most of the time when I use the light, i don't want/need a firearm attached to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast