Thread: 9mm bullet set back

Feedback Score

9mm bullet set back

Hey guys got a question about bullet setback.
    I took a look at my glock 17 mag and saw some of the rounds were a little shorter than the others, upon taking some of the rounds out of the mag about 6 rounds were shorter than the others. these are PMC 9mm hollows. Are these too dangerous to shoot? I am concerned with things going KABOOM on me.
    Appreciate the help If you can

KCCO

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by StR8ShOoTeR87 View Post
    Hey guys got a question about bullet setback.
    I took a look at my glock 17 mag and saw some of the rounds were a little shorter than the others, upon taking some of the rounds out of the mag about 6 rounds were shorter than the others. these are PMC 9mm hollows. Are these too dangerous to shoot? I am concerned with things going KABOOM on me.
    Appreciate the help If you can

KCCO
    If you're concerned about them then dispose of them. Not worth risking. With out seeing the ammo of discussion, it is hard to say yay or nay but bullet set back can be a very bad thing and it isn't worth risking.
    Last edited by bluejackets92fs; 07-06-13 at 18:41.
    Not sure about you guys, but I'm only here for the free food and open bar.

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P Armorer
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bluejackets92fs View Post
    If you're concerned about them then dispose of them. Not worth risking. With out seeing the ammo of discussion, it is hard to say yay or nay but bullet set back can be a very bad thing and it isn't worth risking.
    Appreciate it bluejackets92fs. I wanted to take pix but outta batteries for the camera. I took them out and will dispose of them, you are right "not work risking".

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Don't trash them. Save them for a handloader. those components can be pulled down and reused.

This is why I VERY RARELY unload/load my carry gun. I DO NOT like my carry ammo getting banged around by a lot of chamberings.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by StR8ShOoTeR87 View Post
    Appreciate it bluejackets92fs. I wanted to take pix but outta batteries for the camera. I took them out and will dispose of them, you are right "not work risking".

I will pay shipping to have them sent to me instead of disposal. PM or email me if you decide to ship!
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    How much shorter were they?

It still may not be worth it to you to shoot them, but PMC is usually a pretty weak load to begin with, so a minor setback of the bullet probably won't be dangerous to use. That is, unless they were obviously shoved back into the case and actually look damaged....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Measure the OAL and make sure it is within spec....The minimum OAL is around 1.140 depending on bullet and weight/length.....
    Daniel

Never send a nail to do a screw's job.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Airhasz View Post
    I will pay shipping to have them sent to me instead of disposal. PM or email me if you decide to ship!
    already trashed them, there were only 6 rounds any ways, I probably would have though.
    And I did not measure them. I just replaced them with WWB 115 fmj.
    Last edited by StR8ShOoTeR87; 07-08-13 at 16:06.