Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How important is stretching?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    As the above poster relayed from his personal experience, the proper 'warm-up' is considered more appropriate for pre-exercise activity.

Studies show the possibility of reduced performance (in certain activities) with pre-exercise stretching, AND that the likelihood of injury is not reduced with static stretching (such as what the regular military touts before PT).

As a recently separated military member, I was routinely chastised by counterparts for shunning the pre-PT static stretching routines that the Army forces NCO's to learn and implement. Unfortunately, ignorance is widespread in larger organizations and many are unwilling to look at the research, and make the necessary changes.

Sources:
    -http://www.nsca-lift.org/HotTopic/download/Stretching%20Force%20Production.pdf
    -http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/pre-exercise-stretching.php

See the article's own sources for academic research regarding stretching.
    Last edited by kcmo83; 02-01-11 at 10:50.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I always stretch before I run. I run 5 to 6 days a week. I also do 50 to 60 jumping jacks and a 5 min brisk walk to warm up before the actual run portion. I have actually increased the number and types of stretches I do in order to minimize injuires. I can't say scientifically if this works or not, but it works for me so I am not going to fix it. Just my two cents.

Feedback Score
    I warm up before any workout, be it running, weight-lifting or swimming, but I never stretch before, only after.

When I do martial arts I warm up, stretch after the warm up, and then again after the training.

I just hate stretching cold muscles. I don't know if it's good or bad though, it just doesn't feel right for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    I warm up before any workout, be it running, weight-lifting or swimming, but I never stretch before, only after.

When I do martial arts I warm up, stretch after the warm up, and then again after the training.

I just hate stretching cold muscles. I don't know if it's good or bad though, it just doesn't feel right for me.
    I agree, stretching before warming up could probably be very bad...

Also, I do both dynamic and static stretching.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have been doing flexibility training since I was a teen, either thru martial arts or yoga.

To me, flexibility is important for the warrior. It allows me a full range of motion when working in confined areas, be it in vehicles or moving over crap.

Most of the folks I work with have terrible lower body flexibility. I think they use most of their gym time trying to look good in the mirrors.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quick hijack since some here will appreciate.

How do you know when you're addicted to the ground game?

When you try to pass your woman's guard during sex.

Back to the stretching. Once again, we find a situation where what works for one doesn't work for another, with both sides reporting their way works. I'm not a fan of stretching, it works for me, maybe not for you. To each his own.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12