Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SureFire's business practices suck!

ares armor Guest

SureFire's business practices suck!

(Edit we changed to the title to reflect a little more of what we are talking about)

We are considering on dropping SF due to their nonsensical slow lead times, ridiculous pricing structure, and communistic "Price Fixing" that in our minds is hurting our customer service and hurting the American people in general. Their over the top high prices are being paid by the US government to supply a Flashlight that could be sold for a far lower price. Not to mention they are essentially stealing from their customers by providing a product with a super inflated price point and not allowing dealers to sell it for a lower more reasonable price.

We are taking suggestions on light manufacturers from the community that we should look into.

We have already settled on Insight as they provide what appears to be a more functional and superior product for a much lower price.

any other suggestions for light manufacturers that make a product of equal or higher quality to SF?

Feedback Score
    Steamlight has some very good lights. I'm a huge fan of their penlights, as a combat medic they are about the best thing since boobs to me. They take forever to kill, durable as all hell, and are bright enough to do neuro exams even in blazing sunlight.

Their bigger lights are pretty good too, I don't use one but some of the guys in my unit like the rechargable light that they have. Have yet to see one break or the rechargable battery fail.

I personally really like their weaponlights, I use a TLR-1s on my personal and issue weapons. I beat the ever living piss out of all weapons that touch my hands and I wouldn't hesitate to take the light off of my issue rifle and put it on my EDC M&P.
    Last edited by Kegger; 02-01-11 at 14:14.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ares armor View Post
    We are planning on dropping SF due to their nonsensical slow lead times, ridiculous pricing structure, and communistic "Price Fixing" that in our minds is hurting our customer service and hurting the American people in general. Their over the top high prices are being paid by the US government to supply a Flashlight that could be sold for a far lower price. Not to mention they are essentially stealing from their customers by providing a product with a super inflated price point and not allowing dealers to sell it for a lower more reasonable price.

We are taking suggestions on light manufacturers from the community that we should look into.

We have already settled on Insight as they provide what appears to be a more functional and superior product for a much lower price.

What are your opinions on StreamLight or other manufacturers that maybe we are not aware of yet.
    I have tried other lights and so far nothing comes close. Streamlights products sucked. I have broken many a M3 light before I went with the Surefire x200 and then to the X300. While surefire prices are high I have not found a superior product personally.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    I've been interested in Fenix lights which were pretty nice when I handled a few models
    Last edited by Fire; 02-01-11 at 14:25.

Feedback Score
    83 (100%)
    I've had nothing but good experiences with Surefire. Both under civilian and military sales and customer service.

IMHO, they hardly suck and such a statement is not really appropriate.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    I have tried other lights and so far nothing comes close. Streamlights products sucked. I have broken many a M3 light before I went with the Surefire x200 and then to the X300. While surefire prices are high I have not found a superior product personally.
    Pat
    I agree.

Every time I hear about some "better" thing from the light geeks it turns out that it has a 76th position switch that makes it "better" than the one before that only had 75 positions, but still has the cheap construction, from cheap materials, with the cheap machining, all done in some turd-world country.

surefire can behave the way they do because they make a good product. Would I prefer to see their sales model be improved? Of course, it would only help the consumer. Am I buying anymore of the import lights? not unless it's out of some kind of morbid curiosity.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    In 16 years in law enforcement I have not found any other brand light that comes close to the durability and reliability of Surefire. Furthermore, their customer service has been exemplary.

I understand the frustration some have with their business practices, but nobody makes a better illumination product at any price.

Whatever you do, avoid the latest & greatest chinese made wonder lights at all costs. While they may showcase some of the newest tech to come to the light market, none of them have lasted me for more than a week of duty use. Pure garbage. Especially their switches.

Streamlight offers some good rechargeable lights, but their switching options are not what I prefer for duty use. Momentary-on rules and most of their lights have click-on switches.
    Last edited by nickdrak; 02-01-11 at 14:29.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Been using surefire lights for more than 10 years now. They work well for me. Had a broken tailcap on my new G2X-Pro--called them last night and after a quick diagnosis, they had a new tail cap on its way to me. My 2001 Xenon E2's still running.

I don't know about the politics behind the price inflation, but AFAIK they make top notch products.
    Last edited by Kchen986; 02-01-11 at 14:28.

Feedback Score
    I believe those of you who question any other companies' abilities to produce a comparable or better product should look into Elzetta lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Elzetta
    Elzetta manufactures bright USA Made tactical LED flashlights and flashlight weapon mounts for AR15, M4, M16 rifles, Remington 870, Mossberg 500 & 590, Benelli Nova & SuperNova & M4, and other pump and semi-automatic shotguns, and guns equipped with Mil Std 1913 Picatinny rail systems. Using Malkoff Devices LED technology, all Elzetta LED flashlights are weapon-grade and may be used as weapon lights on rifles and shotguns. With the introduction of the new tactical strobe option, Elzetta LED Flashlights are now available in 32 unique configurations and custom built to order in the USA. Get the best flashlight for your needs by specifying the components most appropriate for your application, mission, and preferences. Design your own custom Elzetta LED flashlight by choosing a standard or crenellated bezel, standard lens or flood lens, 2-cell or 3-cell body, and rotary, clicky, high/low, or high/strobe tailcap. (A tape style remote pressure switch is currently in development.) Overwhelmed by all of the configurations and options? We'll walk you through it in 3 Easy Steps. Want to change the configuration of your flashlight? No problem. All Elzetta components are available individually for easy upgrade and replacement.

Elzetta provides innovative tactical lighting solutions for military Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines, police and law enforcement officers, civilian home defense, personal protection, every day carry (EDC), spelunking (caving), survival, self defense, and many other tactical applications. Utilizing the best resources available, Elzetta LED Flashlights and Flashlight Mounts are Made in the USA using American materials, American tooling, and American labor.

Elzetta truly is A New American Standard in Tactical Lighting. Elzetta ... See What You Were Missing!
    http://www.elzetta.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6bYZZUS3WA

I have no affiliation with this company.
    Last edited by Whootsinator; 02-01-11 at 14:38.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Their pricing has been high since I've been buying them, and I hear it's going up steeply. Even so, they(Surefire) make a superior product from my personal unscientific research. If they keep their quality where it's been for the last years, I will remain a customer.
    "A 'sporting purpose' is what we use to describe actions taken with a football." -S.W.A.T. Magazine

"...if you are cruising the ghetto looking for crack and tranny hookers and you shoot their transgender pimp for staring at you the wrong way, then yeah, you might have a problem." -Iraqgunz

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast