Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BAD Lever + 16" Middy = Bolt Lock Issues *What I Found*

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)

BAD Lever + 16" Middy = Bolt Lock Issues *What I Found*

I have been trying to get a Magpul BAD to work 100% with my Noveske 16" Lo-Pro upper for a couple months now with mixed success. My only issue is the bolt will not lock back consistently on an empty magazine. First off, Noveske has admitted they have seen issues and I don't expect them to make it work 100% with an aftermarket product, I was just hoping to make it work like all my other AR's...

Things I tried and found:
    - Happens same with Fed XM193, Fed AE223, and BH 75gr red box ammo.
    - Tried C, H, & H2 buffers (no pattern found, settled on H buffer as Noveske recommended)
    - Switching to a proven ionbonded BCG, didn't help.
    - Did not work with Magpul 20's.
    - Worked 80% of the time with USGI 20's.
    - Worked 25% with CProducts Stainless Mags/Magpul/Wolf springs (I have always loved these mags for their durability)
    - Worked 90% with USGI with Magpul followers and Wolfe/ISMI springs.
    - Magpul 30's worked from 0-100% with various mags, probably an average of 80% though.
    - Replacing Magpul springs with stronger springs brought bad mags up to 50%.
    - I drilled 10 holes and ground half the backplate off the BAD to lighten up the mass, I would bet I reduced it by almost 25%. Didn't help

Final solution? Remove the BAD and everything runs 100%. Makes me sad but it only takes a little work after picking up the carbine to get the muscle memory switched straight.

I am going to keep shooting it as is and see if a couple thousand rounds will "break it in" enough to work with a BAD.

Does anyone think any other of the BAD type offerings out there have a chance of working better? The Phase 5 EBRv2 because it's one piece?

Has anyone else seen this issue with Mid length gas systems?

Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 01-28-11 at 18:01.

Feedback Score
    Has anyone else seen this issue with Mid length gas systems?
    Haven't had that problem on my OBR 556 with a mid length system. It has an 18" barrel. Haven't tried it on any other midlengths, just carbines.

Feedback Score
    Never had any issues like this. Multiple mid-lengths, 14.5's, 16's...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You could always try switching to the A5 recoil system. If it doesn't work atleast you've got an A5 recoil system.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have not had any failures to lock on my guns, from 11.5" to 16" barrel, carbine to mid-length gas. But I've also seen issues on other people's guns from 10.5" barrels to 16", carbine to mid-length gas. Not being my guns I haven't had an opportunity to analyze them.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have a BAD lever on my Noveske Light Recce Basic w/VIS (midlength) and on my Noveske-based SBR. Both have thousands of rounds of all kinds of crap surplus ammo, all using 30 round Pmags...neither rifle has malfunctioned, BAD lever works great for me.
    Last edited by Hmac; 01-28-11 at 21:10.

Feedback Score
    - Worked 90% with USGI with Magpul followers and Wolfe/ISMI springs.
    You might want to think about replacing the bolt catch spring and maybe the bolt catch. Could be the spring is slightly stiffer than it should be and or the bolt catch might be setting slightly tighter in the receiver.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Thomas M-4 seems like he's got the diagnosis that makes the most sense.

Is the BAD rubbing against the receiver? Is there flex in the BAD? Pressure from the BAD could be preventing the bolt catch to pop forward. If it's kinking up somewhere, it might not be giving the bolt catch enough pivot room to fully engage.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas M-4 View Post
    You might want to think about replacing the bolt catch spring and maybe the bolt catch. Could be the spring is slightly stiffer than it should be and or the bolt catch might be setting slightly tighter in the receiver.
    Did that too, the bolt catch moves freely and the new spring seems about the same as the previous one.

I also tried the upper with a couple other lowers with BADs with the same results.

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Thomas M-4 seems like he's got the diagnosis that makes the most sense.

Is the BAD rubbing against the receiver? Is there flex in the BAD? Pressure from the BAD could be preventing the bolt catch to pop forward. If it's kinking up somewhere, it might not be giving the bolt catch enough pivot room to fully engage.
    Checked that too, no rubbing or touching. Even loctited it to the bolt catch so it did not move forward or back.

Dennis.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast