Thread: Scope mounting with a fixed front sight

Feedback Score

Scope mounting with a fixed front sight

Hello,
    I am new to scopes and AR-15s and was wondering if its possible to mount a scope with a fixed front sight. I know that red dots are not a problem. Any help would be appreciated.
    BTW, I have a Nikon M-223 2-8x arriving in the mail shortly.......planning on using the mount made for the scope (that Nikon makes) and putting it all on my Colt M4 Target (the "post ban" one...MT6400C, I had it made into a "pre ban" after the sunset)
    Thank you for the replies.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    As long as the rings are tall enough you won't have any problems.

Feedback Score
    Ok, so I might need to use a riser?? I will be finding out shortly. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Link to similar scope mount ?

I do use a scope with a FSB and it will cut down a little light but it won't cause any sighting problems.
    NRA Lifetime Member
    Firearms and Diesel Trucks....the left's worst nightmare!

Feedback Score
    Once the scope is mounted, what is the easiest way to get it level? (other than plain old eyeballing it)

Feedback Score
    I have the carry handle so mine was easy

Feedback Score
    At more than 3 or 4 power you won't even notice the front sight post. As for leveling it using a string level laid across the upper receiver rail section to get the rifle level side to side first, then you can lay it across the top adjustment knob of the scope. Check it with the Ol' M1 eyeball after that and you should be good to go.

Feedback Score
    Ok, string level aid. Just an ordinary piece of string?? How do you set it up?? Sorry for the stupid questions, this is my first foray into scopes and AR-15s. Also, I have a Magpul rear BUIS and the bottom of the M-223 is just a hair above the BUIS. The power ring moves ok and the eyepiece focus moves ok as well. Am I doing something wrong?? Is the BUIS necessary?? (my scope mount does not have any kind of quick release)
    Thank you for the replies.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I use a level level level kit. They are like 30 bucks. Lines up the scope to the crosshairs and the chamber. Works great and fast easy setup.