Thread: 75 Grain vs. 77 Grain?

Feedback Score

75 Grain vs. 77 Grain?

How do the 77 gr. Sierra Match King bullet and the Hornady 75 gr. Open Tip Match bullet compare to one another in terms of terminal effectiveness when loaded to the same pressure? Any meaningful differences in penetration or fragmentation velocity?
    Thanks - Dave

Feedback Score
    Bumped up to see if anyone might choose to respond
    Thanks-

Feedback Score
    43 (98%)
    No expert by any means, but I would venture to say two bullets of a similar design/construction, loaded to similar velocities and varying by 2 grains in weight will likely behave similarly ballistically. Unless there is something very different about the bullet construction under the jacket I don't see any reason why similar performance should be expected.

Feedback Score
    Both the Hornady 75 gr OTM and Nosler 77 gr OTM tend to offer a bit more consistent terminal performance than the 77 gr SMK OTM. On the other hand, in many rifles the 77 gr SMK is a bit more accurate. Test them and pick the one that is most accurate in YOUR rifle. Read this again: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19881.

Feedback Score
    Cool - pretty much as I assumed. I was mainly curious if there were any profound differences in the bullet construction / fragmention floorline b/w the two bullet designs. Thank you very much for the help!
    Last edited by Buckshot TX; 01-26-11 at 21:02.

Feedback Score
    I'd be taking a really hard look at Hornady's new 75gr AMAX. seems like you'd get the best of both worlds on paper.
    My capacity for self deception is exceeded only by yours.

Feedback Score
    The Hornady TAP 75 gr OTM is indeed a good load for long range and unobstructed shots, however the Hornady AMAX 75 gr PT is generally too long for use in AR15 magazines.