Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Federal 9BP Gelatin Tests

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar 319 View Post
    Keep in mind that the NYPD would only allow Winchester 115 grn FMJ's up until 1999-2000.

In the 1990's, many angencies issued Federal 115 grn 9mm in standard, +P, +P+ and Hydrashock loadings.

Winchester Silvertips were also commonly issued.

When I started my career in 1996, the agency I worked for had just switched from a Federal 115 grn JHP (don't recall which loading) to a Remington 124 grn Golden Saber +P. The Golden Saber's were replaced with the 135 grn Tactical Bonded round 2-3 years later.
    Thanks. I started in 1975. I'm familiar with the history of issued ammo, I was looking for where the OP was coming from, or rather, where he was getting his info.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post
    Federal 9BPLE is +P+ ammo and was considered good ammo during the days when "Light and Fast" was all the rage. Do a little searching and you'll find it was in use by many agencies small and large around the country with success. I still have some and while I prefer heavier more modern bullet designs, I wouldn't feel ill equipped if I needed to use it. Don't have a source, but I do remember reading where it has the best stopping performance of all 9mm ammo based on actual shootings. That tells me that it must work fairly well and must have been in widespread use.

This data was taken from StoppingPower.net:

10% Ballistic Gelatin Tests for:
    Federal 9mm 115gr. +p+ 9BPLE

Testing Platform: Glock 19

Barrier: 4 Layers of Denim

TEST RESULTS:

Round # 1:
    Penetration: 12.50"
    Recovered Weight: 110.1 gr.
    Expansion*: .680 cal.
    Velocity: 1298 fps.
    Notes: .680 at widest “leg,” .551 cal average diameter.

* Expansion measured at widest point.
    9BP and 9BPLE are two different loads.

And you might want to do a little research of your own when it comes to sites that you're taking ballistic data, or "actual shooting" data from.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Anyone who's been around for awhile and knows much about 9mm knows that 9BPLE was the hot ticket it in the 90's and was in widespread use by many agencies/departments to include the Illinois State Police who played a part in its development. They used it with great success as did the Border Patrol for a number of years.

Are you saying that you've been around since 1975 and you didn't know this already or are you simply wanting him you to bring you documentation of what is seen as common knowledge to most?

I believe he felt you were being argumentative because you question him and me yet you don't provide any reasearch to back your points either?

"I stand corrected as I was speaking on 9BPLE and the OP was referring to 9BP."
    Last edited by wahoo95; 02-02-11 at 10:32.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Can't speak to the suitability of either load, but I remember when 50rd boxes of 9BP and 9BPLE were available at Walmart for $11.97.

They were what they were, and there are better loads now. See also: Hydrashok
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Anyone who's been around for awhile and knows much about 9mm knows that 9BPLE was the hot ticket it in the 90's and was in widespread use by many agencies/departments to include the Illinois State Police who played a part in its development. They used it with great success as did the Border Patrol for a number of years.

Are you saying that you've been around since 1975 and you didn't know this already or are you simply wanting him you to bring you documentation of what is seen as common knowledge to most?
    You seem to be having difficulty understanding the fact that 9BP and 9BPLE are two different loadings.

And yes, I'm aware that 9BPLE was a "hot ticket" for some agencies in the 90's.

What does that have to do with my questions?

Feedback Score
    Here you go, Jake'sDad: https://www.m4carbine.net/archive/in...p/t-50434.html Yes, I believed this to be generally available info.

I believe it would be interesting to compare a good loading from "then" to a good loading "now." Had I simply asked for the data with no context, most of the replies would have been suggestions to use the 124 gr HST instead, as no one would know the basis for my question.

So, is/are there gelatin test figures for the 9BP standard, and 9BP+p? Wahoo's provided the +p+; 9BPLE's fine for the latter.
    Last edited by Jwalker; 02-02-11 at 10:45. Reason: Specificity

Feedback Score
    I believe he felt you were being argumentative because you question him and me yet you don't provide any reasearch to back your points either?

Did I somehow stumble on to another firearms site?

I merely asked on what data was the OP basing his statement on, and others chime in with repetitious references to "common knowledge" and allusions to discredited studies.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwalker View Post
    Here you go, Jake'sDad: https://www.m4carbine.net/archive/in...p/t-50434.html Yes, I believed this to be generally available info.

Is/are there gelatin test figures for the standard, +p? Wahoo's provided the +p+; LE's fine for the latter.
    They did some testing of the 9BP in this article if that helps any:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/H...Federal115.htm

Jake'sDad....I'm thinking some of us may have confused the "tone" of your Who and Why question. You know the internet has a funny habit of doing that to people.
    Last edited by wahoo95; 02-02-11 at 10:48.

Feedback Score

Other than DocGR's statement of "The 124 gr HST is a better load than the 115 gr 9BP", what data are you trying to reference from that link?

Is/are there gelatin test figures for the standard, +p? Wahoo's provided the +p+; LE's fine for the latter.
    The data wahoo provided was from stoppingpower.net, Evan Marshal's site. Use the search function here and decide how much you may wish to rely on it.

Feedback Score
    Wahoo95, Yes, thanks - I'd read the article and missed the reference to bare gelatin. Expecting a table format, I guess...
    Last edited by Jwalker; 02-02-11 at 10:50. Reason: Clarity

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast