Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Identify this old 1911

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Amazing. I'm jealous that you've got this as an heirloom. My grandfather doesn't have his issued pistol, doesn't remember what happened to it.

Feedback Score
    Keep it & keep it safe.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Excellent Colt; I hope my grandkids/great kids will be looking at one of my 1911s in one hundred years from now. Hold on to it!

Feedback Score
    I thought I would update this thread with some better pics since it's the 100th anniversary of the gun's build year.

Also, I have found the original trigger but does anyone know where I can find an original MSH?

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    What he said. YOUR Great Granddad carried that in the defense of this Country when it was worth defending

Last edited by Ironnewt; 02-05-11 at 05:24.

since when did this country become not worth defending ! ?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Early Colt slides have been known to crack.....do not shoot this pistol any further.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBuckeye View Post
    Early Colt slides have been known to crack.....do not shoot this pistol any further.
    I haven't been shooting it lately since I picked up my PPQ, are there any signs of this cracking that I can check for before it goes completely?
    Last edited by 9111B; 02-20-14 at 11:32.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Not that I am aware, but you should post this on the 1911forum in the USGI section.

Feedback Score
    4 (83%)
    Do not sell it.. I sold one my Dad gave me ... it was made in 1917... all numbers matched..and it was in good condition. I had a brainfart and sold it for a Smith and Wesson 4516 and some cash years ago. I can never get that gun back... as it was a graduation gift my dad gave me for completing Basic Training..
    Hold onto that Colt..

Feedback Score
    It wasn't said before and if I missed it I do apologize but your gun is what was referee to as a "Colt commercial" 1911. Military guns would have has the USP stamp on it. Government Model just refers to its size. All 1911's at that point were blued whither they were Army or Commercial. I would be willing to bet (without seeing first hand) that the bluing is original to the gun.

And this maybe your lucky day but guess what I have in my pars bin.........an original Colt 1911 WW1 style main spring housing that your gun is in need of.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123