Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to make a SBR

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    So instead of engraving on the lower, I can engrave on the barrel? Can I engrave under the handguards? Or does it have to be readily visible?
    The ATF regs say it must be "conspicuously" placed which is somewhat ambiguous. If you can easily remove the handguard for cleaning (like an AR15 or AK) it's probably ok. I can't say for sure as I've never asked the ATF this question and I've not been able to find any letters from their technical branch regarding this.

Also, about the engraving "myth", my SBR will not be a safe queen or a range toy. It will be set up for HD/SD use, but hopefully I'll never have to use it in that role. However, if I do, I would rather have abided by the law, to the very letter of the law, whether necessary or not, so that I can give them one less thing to try to convict me on.
    You're a very wise man.
    Last edited by MilitaryArms; 02-04-11 at 10:05.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    So...if I'm reading this right, I could engrave my UPPER as an SBR? Now, to my thinking, that would make far more sense to have the SBR upper engraved with it's serial, than putting it on a lower that may or may not be hosting the SBR configuration at that particular time.

Or am I reading this wrong?
    Thanks!
    -Adam

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    So, Hop....is your questioned answered yet?
    Maybe "myth" was a bit harsh. That's an interesting letter but a letter isn't law & we've seen how the ATF can change their minds later. I would rather engrave a barrel than a lower though. Maybe I'll go that route.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_s View Post
    So...if I'm reading this right, I could engrave my UPPER as an SBR? Now, to my thinking, that would make far more sense to have the SBR upper engraved with it's serial, than putting it on a lower that may or may not be hosting the SBR configuration at that particular time.

Or am I reading this wrong?
    Thanks!
    -Adam
    Good question, but unfortunately the gun is the lower in the case of an AR15. My assumption would be that your manufacturer markings would have to be somewhere on the gun itself, that being the lower.

On an AK or even a SCAR, for example, the barrel is attched to the gun (the serial numbered part) and as such the barrels can be marked.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    Good question, but unfortunately the gun is the lower in the case of an AR15. My assumption would be that your manufacturer markings would have to be somewhere on the gun itself, that being the lower.

On an AK or even a SCAR, for example, the barrel is attched to the gun (the serial numbered part) and as such the barrels can be marked.

That is my thought as well. AR manufacturers mark the lower because it is the gun; FAL manufacturers mark the upper because it is the gun.
    Last edited by Don Robison; 02-05-11 at 14:54.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    It's not a myth, there are a number of letters from the ATF out there which are quite clear on this regulation. Here's one from last year.

this letter is the only thing i have read that clarifies what needs to be added.

The information in the guide book doesn't say the same words.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    oh man, should not have read/watched this....12.5" upper is VERY tempting!

Thanks for that useful info!

EDIT: I just thought of something not mentioned in the vid. If i get a SBR 6.8 upper, does the lower have to say "6.8 or multi cal"? So could i legally put a SBR 6.8 upper on my lower that reads 5.56?
    Last edited by J-Dub; 02-06-11 at 12:30.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123