Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Carbine shooting while moving..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I owe all of my shooting on the move techniques to Ken Hackathorn, Larry Vickers, Dave Harrington and Ernest Langdon. Anyone who wants to learn to shoot on the move should take classes from those gentlemen.
    How about Paul Howe?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrolAR View Post
    How about Paul Howe?
    Milfmasta:
    You wanna get me killed or what???

Paul Howe believes in doing one thing or the other but not both, for those who are not familiar with Paul's teaching. He said if you're moving, you need to haul ass, and if you shoot, find a good cover or at least concealment and deliver your shots.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Milfmasta:

Dont worry.... as long as you have a chamber flag, you'll be ok.

Over the years I have seen various methods taught for shooting on the move. Be it the drag step (seems popular with the Gunsite crowd) or the groucho; they all seemed to have something to offer. I tend to look at it this way: stay focused on heel/toe roll and use your knees as shock absorbers and things should work out as long as you are applying the fundamentals of marksmanship.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Milfmasta:

Paul Howe believes in doing one thing or the other but not both, for those who are not familiar with Paul's teaching. He said if you're moving, you need to haul ass, and if you shoot, find a good cover or at least concealment and deliver your shots.
    He does believe in shooting on the move in CQB, right?

Feedback Score
    Undoubtedly, you must fire when you have to.

I do find that shooting between steps, with only one foot on the ground gives me better stability with regards to my rifle but I try to work on firing at each part of my walk.

Feedback Score
    Calling your shot is calling your shot.

Shooting on the move - once you get the groucho down you realize it is more about just doing the work - your mind and body just have to do it over and over to see what works for you....at the end of the day you have to solve two basic problems -

You can not go anywhere unless your feet are moving

You can not hit anything unless your upper body is able to stay quiet enough for your mind to process what the front sight is trained on

The rest is being able to call your shot.

The more you do it, the faster and more accurate you will be.

Don't cross your feet!

Feedback Score
    Try to keep the butt of the rifle close to the center of your chest when you are shooting on the move. This keeps the rifle sights from bouncing around. I have shot well using this technique for a couple of years.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo58 View Post
    The terrain was undulating and caused me to throw shots at times when I thought I was settled then all of a sudden my foots drops into a 5" depression. It'd be different if it was flat and level like a road but I guess that's the cool part about learning how to do it. What's this crab walk?

Or you go from mown range lane to non mowed 18-24" tall grass, or you run into a barrel that you 'knew' was 10 feet further away, or you hit your head on a low brace for a power line.

In other words, don't lose SA by concentrating on shooting so hard you zone out everything else

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234