Thread: New Build, Help me choose.

Feedback Score

New Build, Help me choose.

Looking into a new AR, I posted in the "General" forum asking about some new options, however I'm also interested in building my own. What I'm looking for is something of the SOPMOD Block II variety, I'm not looking to build an exact clone, something close with changes as necessary. The weapon will be used for general shooting and some tactical carbine classes.

I haven't bought anything yet, here is my current parts list that I have:

Noveske upper and lower receivers
    Noveske Afhgan 14.5 barrel
    Fail Zero BCG
    Daniel Defense M4 RIS II Rail System
    YHM Folding front and rear sights
    Gunfighter charging handle
    Vltor Imod stock
    Tango Down rear grip
    Geissle SD-C Trigger

That is just my current list, I'm completely open to options. For what it's worth I was also considering using more Daniel Defense parts (upper, lower, barrel) they are quite a bit cheaper than the Noveske parts. My original thinking was matching the upper/lower/barrel might lead to a "tighter" fit and possibly better performance? Maybe I'm just being OCD and any "in spec" upper/lower/barrel would yield similar performance?

Thank you all for your help

Feedback Score
    I haven't used Noveske so I cannot give you advice on that matter. I have used Mega uppers and lowers and they fit together very nice. From what I have read; Noveske may be superior to Mega, but all of the Megas I have used were far superior to RRA, BM, or DPMS. Noveske will be superior also. If you choose to build a Daniel Defense rifle you won't have to worry about performance.

What are your main reasons for a home build? I'm just asking because if it is to save money, you won't. If you just want to build a rifle and learn more about the AR platform, then give it hell.

On the subject of upper and lower fit.....My friend has a 6940LE, it has the biggest gap between the upper and lower that I have ever seen, however, the gap has no impact on the rifles performance. I really enjoy shooting it.

I'm just an enthusiast not a professional so don't take my word as gold. I built all of my rifles, but if I could go back I would have bought a true fighting rifle like a Colt or DD for my first. It would have saved me a lot of money and I wouldn't have had to learn the hard way.

Good luck.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Skip the FailZero bolt/carrier group.

Skip the YHM flip-up sights. At least get a decent quality flip-up sight. Unless you are planning to put variable powered optics on your rifle, I would suggest going with a fixed sights such as a Daniel Defense fixed front and rear sights.

Forget about the "fit" between parts - super-tight fit isn't going to do anything for you.

I really would suggest that you forget building a rifle, and just buy a complete rifle from Noveske...
    Last edited by DeltaSierra; 01-04-12 at 14:09.

Feedback Score
    What's the situation with the Failzero BCG? Are they no good or are others preferred? Same thing with the YHM sights, something better available?

As I said this is just a preliminary list and nothing I'm stuck to. It would be ideal if the guys who said loose this and get that could explain why.

I understand I would actually save money in the end if I just bought a complete rifle from Noveske, however I don't have access to that kind of money right now, Piecing it together as I have the money available is more me speed, plus there is a certain pride with building your own, not to mention it would be exactly how I wanted it.

To answer the first reply, I will be building the gun for shooting for fun, I also plan on taking a combat carbine course, and I may even give some local 3-gun matches a try. My main goal is to build a fighting gun, not a 500 yard target rifle.

Thank you to all the help thus far.

Iggy

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by iggy913 View Post
    What's the situation with the Failzero BCG? Are they no good or are others preferred? Same thing with the YHM sights, something better available?

As I said this is just a preliminary list and nothing I'm stuck to. It would be ideal if the guys who said loose this and get that could explain why.

I understand I would actually save money in the end if I just bought a complete rifle from Noveske, however I don't have access to that kind of money right now, Piecing it together as I have the money available is more me speed, plus there is a certain pride with building your own, not to mention it would be exactly how I wanted it.

To answer the first reply, I will be building the gun for shooting for fun, I also plan on taking a combat carbine course, and I may even give some local 3-gun matches a try. My main goal is to build a fighting gun, not a 500 yard target rifle.

Thank you to all the help thus far.

Iggy
    If you can't afford what you want, save your money until you can.
    Don't get something sub-standard, and justify it by telling yourself that you can save some money. As far as I am concerned, there is no substitute for a properly assembled rifle from the factory that no homebuilt rifle can match.

As far as the FailZero bolt/bolt carrier, there is no reason why a standard Noveske bolt carrier group needs any "upgrading." The FailZero bolt is a solution that doesn't fix any real-world issues.

As for the YHM stuff, IraqGunz has mentioned some of the issues that he had with YHM products while he was in Iraq. I would have to ask why go with YHM, when you have the option of going with Troy or KAC sights...?

Feedback Score
    As far as the bolt carrier group was concerned, I wasn't talking about buying a Noveske rifle and upgrading it with a Failzero BCG if that's even an upgrade, Noveske weapons come pretty much set out of the box from what I can tell. I was just listing off a parts list I had for a scratch build and looking for opinions or reccomendations. Rainier arms sells Noveske receivers and I just figured they would make a great starting point for a solid weapon, same thing with their barrels.

I also understand that there are probably quite a few things that are done in a manufacturers shop that help insure reliability and accuracy that the average person might not know, which all lead to something better than a gun assembled from parts in a garage.

Thanks again for the help, I'll look into those other sights you mentioned too.

Feedback Score
    You could save a lot of cash by using a different barrel. That Afghan barrel is $455 from Noveske, while Wilson Combat has a very similar barrel for $249. Check it out

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The reason I would skip the YHM sights is that I have a set sitting in my parts box that are used only for temporary sights on a new build until the sights I plan to use permanently arrive. They work, more or less, but:

1) When locked in the Up position, there's a bit of wiggle room that bugs me, and may change zero (not sure if it does, but I'd rather not have to worry).

2) The mounting system to the rail has a bad tendency to shoot loose, even with thread locker used. Too much clearance in the allowable dimensions.

Things like the TD grip and IMod, I'd suggest trying out on someone else's rifle before purchasing if you get the chance. I was all set to buy the same grip a while back until I had the chance to try it, and my physical disposition didn't mesh with it very well (but others find it quite nice).

The Afghan barrel is on the heavier side, so keep that in mind when considering what "general shooting" and classes entail. Accurate, though.

For iron sights, Troys are pretty good. They're tighter, more low-profile (both folded, and sight picture), and better-constructed than YHMs.
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GI_Jared View Post
    You could save a lot of cash by using a different barrel. That Afghan barrel is $455 from Noveske, while Wilson Combat has a very similar barrel for $249. Check it out
    The barrel is the heart of the rifle. The last thing on that list that I would change would be to get a different barrel.

It makes no sense at all to spend extra money to get a Noveske receiver, and then get a low(er) quality barrel.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I think a lot of these posts are saying you should just buy the complete rifle from Noveske because 4 of the parts you mentioned already would be on there (stock, receivers, barrel, charging handle). The sights are Troy, so better than the ones you mentioned. The grip is Magpul, which I love, but that's not too expensive of a change if you'd still want. The BCG I can't really comment on because I don't know how a Noveske compares to the Fail Zero. As for the rail, I feel like Noveske's rails are still awesome. Especially the monolithic VIS, although that would cost quite a bit more. And, before I got mine I had plans on upgrading the trigger to a Geisele, but I really don't know if its even worth it. The one on mine is very crisp.

Of course I'm very biased, and speaking from only limited experience handling all MIL issued rifles before mine, but you already have several Noveske parts on your list, so might be worth it just to hold out and get the whole package. I can appreciate wanting the satisfaction of your own build. Personally, though, I wouldn't do it with my first AR.
    Sic semper tyrannis.