Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The training book thread

Feedback Score
    The "Black Swan" was recommended to me about a year or so ago as there is much material contained within that transfers over to the combative realm. Great suggestion.

I have been reading "Meditaions on violence" by Rory Miller.
    It is a comparision between martial arts and real world violence with some icing added. Definately recommended.
    "Everyone has been given a gift in life. Some people have a gift for science and some have a flair for art. And warriors have been given the gift of aggression. They would no more misuse this gift than a doctor would misuse his healing arts, but they yearn for the opportunity to use their gift to help others. These people, the ones who have been blessed with the gift of aggression and a love for others, are our sheepdogs. These are our warrior"

Feedback Score
    If you want to go "old school", the Hagakure and The Budoshoshinshu are some interesting reads.

Feedback Score
    I've been getting and reading in full or in part the following books on various aspects of training and I've tried to categorize and rank them. I will start small but keep adding to this list.

Pistol Fundamentals

1. Tactical Pistol Shooting: Your Guide to Tactics & Techniques that Work (2nd Edition) by Erik Lawrence & Mike Pannone – A well-illustrated book encompassing many aspects of pistol shooting. The best single book on the subject.
    2. The Modern Day Gunslinger: The Ultimate Handgun Training Manual by Don Mann and David Grossman (Introduction) – Covering many topics and again well-illustrated
    3. The Art of Modern Gunfighting: The Pistol: Volume 1 by Scott Reitz with Brett McQueen – Examples of officer-involved shooting and covering the fundamentals and well-illustrated
    4. Art of the Handgun: An Illustrated Guide to Self Defense & Combat Shooting by Joseph (Kuti) Yekutiel and Dr. David Darom – Well put together but needing better English. Well-illustrated.
    Last edited by RamZar; 02-10-11 at 10:39.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Please keep this thread going. I am actively looking to expand my library.

have read ...
    The Book of Two Guns, by Tiger McKee (some good points but not a "must read", not really a book anyway ... more a compilation of his training "notes")
    The Glock in Competition, by Robin Taylor (good if you are a total noob, otherwise pass)

reading now ...
    Practical Shooting, Beyond Fundamentals, by Brian Enos (good so far but very "deep")

just ordered ...
    Your Competition Handgun Training Program, by Mike Seeklander

on my want list ...
    Refinement & Repetition, Dry Fire Drills for Dramatic Improvement, by Steve Anderson
    The Art of Modern Gunfighting, Scott Reitz

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    Please keep this thread going. I am actively looking to expand my library.

have read ...
    The Book of Two Guns, by Tiger McKee (some good points but not a "must read", not really a book anyway ... more a compilation of his training "notes")
    The Glock in Competition, by Robin Taylor (good if you are a total noob, otherwise pass)

reading now ...
    Practical Shooting, Beyond Fundamentals, by Brian Enos (good so far but very "deep")

just ordered ...
    Your Competition Handgun Training Program, by Mike Seeklander

on my want list ...
    Refinement & Repetition, Dry Fire Drills for Dramatic Improvement, by Steve Anderson
    The Art of Modern Gunfighting, Scott Reitz
    I've got Steve Anderson's dry fire book. I'll loan/trade it to anyone just to borrow Scott Reitz's book. Or I'll loan it to someone to take a look at the Lawrence/Pannone book mentioned above.

Once you look at Seeklander's book, you'll see that it has lots of dry fire drills that make Anderson's somewhat redundant. (Anderson's book does have a lot more drills than Seeklanders.)
    Last edited by comprido; 02-10-11 at 09:57.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I would be interested in the loan/trade option once I get a few more books in my possession. Right now the only thing I have available (that I would recommend) is the Enos book and I'm not quite finished with it yet.
    Last edited by VolGrad; 02-10-11 at 10:00. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    Here's another set to go beyond the fundamentals and setup a full training program:

1. Practical Shooting: Beyond Fundamentals by Brian Enos -- Sets you up with a logical program to master the fundamentals and go beyond. Oldie but still applicable.
    2. Shooting from Within: A Guide to Maximum Performance by J. Michael Plaxco – Another old one but this one gets into the mindset more.
    3. T.A.P.S. Tactical Application of Practical Shooting: Recognize the void in your tactical training by Patrick McNamara -- A full training program with many drills.
    4. The Shooter's Approach to Practice: A Practical Shooter’s Guide by Sam Conway – Another great one for training program, drills and progress
    Last edited by RamZar; 02-10-11 at 10:39. Reason: Number them

Feedback Score
    On mindset, mental conditioning and psychology:

1. The Gift of Fear and Other Survival Signals that Protect Us From Violence by Gavin de Becker
    2. On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society by Dave Grossman
    3. On Combat, The Psychology and Physiology of Deadly Conflict in War and in Peace by Dave Grossman with Loren W. Christensen
    4. Warrior Mindset: Mental Toughness Skills for a Nation's Peacekeepers by Michael J. Asken, Dave Grossman with Loren W. Christensen
    5. Sharpening the Warriors Edge: The Psychology & Science of Training by Bruce K. Sidle
    Last edited by RamZar; 02-13-11 at 19:59. Reason: Forgot the last one

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by coloccw View Post
    Pete Blaber's The mission, the Men, and Me.
    This a great book. The books content is much more applicable to every day life than your standard "gunfighter" book.

FWIW... I forgot what book I read it in, but another former CAG Operator said that Pete Blaber was probably the most intelligent man to ever walk the halls of the Unit.

Feedback Score

Meditations on Violence

I am not quite finished reading "Meditations on Violence" by Rory Miller, but I will likely start re-reading again immediately when I finish. Miller is a martial artist and corrections officer, so he has a lot of practical on-the-job experience. He is also extremely thoughtful and analytical.
    The most valuable theme within the book is the gap between how we train and the actual reality of violence. He challenges many of the assumptions upon which a considerable amount of training is based. For example, an assault is less likely to be two guys squaring off like in sparring or a tournament, than a sudden flurry of blows with little or no warning.
    He goes much further, describing many of the "tells" in the build up to an attack. He does a good job describing the "predator" perspective. His concept of the "Monkey Dance" alone is worth reading the book as I suspect each and everyone of us would immediately recognize this from our own lives. Just his thoughts on defusing the Monkey Dance could save life or limb.
    Although more about hand-to-hand and the "street", I nonetheless think many of his observations applicable to training with weapons. As a civilian with a CCW, it has really made me think (and re-think) as to the most likely scenario I might encounter and what training is appropriate. Just the aspect of range of engagement has really caught my attention (think Tom Cruise in the alley scene in the movie Collateral; it's may be more fun to shoot the bullseye out at 50 feet, but things at "Bad Breath" distance call for a different skill set & training and this is something I will be paying more attention to now).
    I think this and DeBecker's "Gift of Fear" would be a perfect compliment to each other. Both give practical information as to how to recognize trouble coming and therefore give us a chance to avoid trouble.
    Stay safe
    Last edited by LDM; 02-12-11 at 10:32.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast