Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The training book thread

Feedback Score
    +1 on Green Eyes Black Rifles and The Mission The Men and Me.

The Tactical Trainer: A Few Thoughts On Training And Training Management by Msg. Paul R. Howe, for trainers and administrators is a +.

Feedback Score
    ON MISSIONS: MILITARY

The Mission, The Men, and Me: Lessons from a Former Delta Force Commander by Pete Blaber -- Fabulous, insightful, instructive, nuggets of wisdom, real-world, etc. Remember "The most effective weapon on any battlefield, is our mind's ability to recognize life's underlying patterns."

Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10 by Marcus Luttrell, Patrick Robinson (Contributor) -- Great accounting and background but you can safely skip directly to the mission half way through the book.

Inside Delta Force: The Story of America's Elite Counterterrorist Unit by Eric L. Haney -- You may remember the TV series "The Unit".

Six Minutes to Freedom: How a Band of Heros Defied a Dictator and Helped Free a Nation by Kurt Muse, John Gilstrap -- The Unit rescuing Kurt on the same night (Dec. 1989) that Noriega was finally ousted. Also see The Military Channel's documentary "Rescue in Panama". Larry Vickers was one of the operators that night.

Delta Force: The Army's Elite Counterterrorist Unit by Charlie A. Beckwith, Donald Knox (Author), C. A. Mobley (Epilogue) -- Setting up The Unit and the training involved.

In The Company Of Heroes by Michael Durant (Author), Steven Hartov -- Superb stuff. Mogadishu 1993. More detail on tactics and techniques than Bowden's more famous "Black Hawk Down" and Ridley Scott's great movie.

American Heroes in Special Operations by Oliver North -- Surprising excellent with many true stories and details of SF guys in Iraq & Afghanistan.

WAR by Sebastian Junger -- Modern war like being there. Also see the documentary "Restrepo" by Sebastian Junger and Tim Hetherington

Heroes Among Us: Firsthand Accounts of Combat From America's Most Decorated Warriors in Iraq and Afghanistan by Major Chuck Larson (Editor, Introduction), John McCain (Afterword), General Tommy Franks (Foreword)

The Only Thing Worth Dying For: How Eleven Green Berets Forged a New Afghanistan by Eric Blehm -- Some of the best elements of modern war by a small well-trained unit

Never Surrender: A Soldier's Journey to the Crossroads of Faith and Freedom by Jerry Boykin -- deep in missions & tactics although a bit preachy in tone.

ON MISSIONS: LAW ENFORCEMENT

Cold Zero: Inside the FBI Hostage Rescue Team by Christopher Whitcomb -- HRT missions and the training behind it.

Extreme Justice: The Secret Squad of the L.A.P.D. that Fights Violence with Violence by Frank Sacks -- The famous/infamous SIS unit.

Homicide Special: A Year with the LAPD's Elite Detective Unit by Miles Corwin -- Real cops and real killers.

Jim Cirillo's Tales Of The Stakeout Squad by Paul Kirchner -- Stories from the master gunfighter Cirillo with the old NYPD Stakeout Squad. Better than his own book below.

Guns, Bullets, And Gunfights: Lessons And Tales From A Modern-Day Gunfighter by Jim Cirillo -- Deadly force encounters from the master. Somewhat inconsistent but stick to it.

Swat Teams: Explosive Face-offs With America's Deadliest Criminals by Captain Robert L. Snow -- Not perfect but insightful.

The Trials And Tribulations Of Becoming A Swat Commander by John A. Kolman, M.D. Carmona (Foreword) -- Only 68 pages but the bible.
    Last edited by RamZar; 03-01-11 at 02:35. Reason: Forgot my two books on SWAT + Heroes Among Us + Only Thing Worth Dying For

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by comprido View Post
    Howe's Leadership and Training for the Fight is very good. The Tactical Trainer is more for folks running training programs. It's audience is very limited, and I imagine a lot of people bought it without knowing it wasn't written for them.
    Only read the first one, I heard the same about the second and skipped it.

Quote Originally Posted by coloccw View Post
    Pete Blaber's The mission, the Men, and Me. Great insights that transfer to every mission.
    Easily one of the best books I've ever had the privalge to read. I highly recommended it.

Quote Originally Posted by RamZar View Post
    Inside Delta Force: The Story of America's Elite Counterterrorist Unit by Eric L. Haney -- You may remember the TV series "The Unit".
    Eric Haney is not respected in the comunity he associates himself with. He embellished his story to say the least, and generaly his thoughts are not worth the paper they are printed on. IMHO

V/r
    Uglyguns
    Last edited by Uglyguns; 02-12-11 at 14:44.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uglyguns View Post
    Eric Haney is not respected in the comunity he associates himself with. He embellished his story to say the least, and generaly his thoughts are not worth the paper they are printed on. IMHO

V/r
    Uglyguns
    Hold on now. I didn't recommend that one. (I think you made a cut and paste error. No worries, though.)

(It's edited now. Thanks.)
    Last edited by comprido; 02-12-11 at 14:46.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RamZar View Post
    ON MISSIONS: MILITARY

The Mission, The Men, and Me: Lessons from a Former Delta Force Commander by Pete Blaber -- Fabulous, insightful, instructive, nuggets of wisdom, real-world, etc. Remember "The most effective weapon on any battlefield, is our mind's ability to recognize life's underlying patterns."

Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10 by Marcus Luttrell, Patrick Robinson (Contributor) -- Great accounting and background but you can safely skip directly to the mission half way through the book.

Six Minutes to Freedom: How a Band of Heros Defied a Dictator and Helped Free a Nation by Kurt Muse, John Gilstrap -- The Unit rescuing Kurt on the same night (Dec. 1989) that Noriega was finally ousted. Also see The Military Channel's documentary "Rescue in Panama". Larry Vickers was one of the operators that night.

Delta Force: The Army's Elite Counterterrorist Unit by Charlie A. Beckwith, Donald Knox (Author), C. A. Mobley (Epilogue) -- Setting up The Unit and the training involved.

In The Company Of Heroes by Michael Durant (Author), Steven Hartov -- Superb stuff. Mogadishu 1993. More detail on tactics and techniques than Bowden's more famous "Black Hawk Down" and Ridley Scott's great movie.

American Heroes in Special Operations by Oliver North -- Surprising excellent with many true stories and details of SF guys in Iraq & Afghanistan.

WAR by Sebastian Junger -- Modern war like being there. Also see the documentary "Restrepo" by Sebastian Junger and Tim Hetherington

ON MISSIONS: LAW ENFORCEMENT

Cold Zero: Inside the FBI Hostage Rescue Team by Christopher Whitcomb -- HRT missions and the training behind it.

Extreme Justice: The Secret Squad of the L.A.P.D. that Fights Violence with Violence by Frank Sacks -- The famous/infamous SIS unit.

Homicide Special: A Year with the LAPD's Elite Detective Unit by Miles Corwin -- Real cops and real killers.

Jim Cirillo's Tales Of The Stakeout Squad by Paul Kirchner -- Stories from the master gunfighter Cirillo with the old NYPD Stakeout Squad. Better than his own book below.

Guns, Bullets, And Gunfights: Lessons And Tales From A Modern-Day Gunfighter by Jim Cirillo -- Deadly force encounters from the master. Somewhat inconsistent but stick to it.

Swat Teams: Explosive Face-offs With America's Deadliest Criminals by Captain Robert L. Snow -- Not perfect but insightful.

The Trials And Tribulations Of Becoming A Swat Commander by John A. Kolman, M.D. Carmona (Foreword) -- Only 68 pages but the bible.
    Now we are just listing good reads. Not a lot of training value in many of these.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Hold on now. I didn't recommend that one. (I think you made a cut and paste error.)
    Yup , fixed.

V/r
    uglyguns

Feedback Score

Now we are just listing good reads. Not a lot of training value in many of these.
    Strictly speaking, perhaps. Sometimes one can extract more by mixing business and pleasure. Personally, these have lessons for me and my overall "mental" training.
    Last edited by RamZar; 02-12-11 at 15:25. Reason: Typo

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

The Art of Modern Gunfighting

I was disappointed with Scott Reitz's new book The Art of Modern Gunfighting. I don't think it really offered anything new. The material just felt a little dated as well. I don't really think there was anything that previous authors have'nt already covered. After reading all the reviews on other forums, I was expecting more, much more.

I have to be honest and up front, part of the problem may have been that I also bought his DVD. I watched this before I read the book. After watching the DVD I just didn't care for Reitz, his technique, or his teaching style. I'm sure this colored my view of his book. So take it for what it's worth.

Matt

Feedback Score
    This thread is exactly what I've been looking for, with winter setting in here in NE Indiana I need to find some books to occupy me. I've recently finished The Way of the Seal by Mark Divine. It was ok but I got tired of him trying to sell the rest of his books and program through out the book. Let's get some updates to this thread please.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

The training book thread

Ben stoegers books on dry firing are a great way to get more practice for less money.

There are also "John Mosby"'s three books (and blog) , which aren't a bad read.

Last book I got through was left of bang, which could have been better of the first part of the book wasn't simply selling the book.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast