Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Behold! The "futuristic" AR

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Behold! The "futuristic" AR

Just born, today!

Vltor VIS-2 monolithic upper, Sabre Defence 18" midlength midweight fluted chrome lined barrel, PRI gas block/folding front BUIS, KAC 600m rear BUIS, ACOG TA-31F with LaRue mount.

I call it the <SPR.

It is a Designated Marksman type rifle, but with a service-grade barrel, and rugged optics.

It is part of my grand experiment to investigate and quantify the continuum of accuracy potential as one builds upon the AR platform: service grade chrome vs. match grade stainless barrels, ff handguard versus standard, match trigger vs. standard, different optics, and so on.

Here is its stablemate, one rung down the ladder:

This one was inspired by the Diemaco Special Forces Weapon, and has a 16" midlength midweight barrel.

It is itself one step above my lightweight barreled M-faux, which should be ready soon.

Later I will have a Recce and SPR constructed to my specs; these will be the high-end of the spectrum. It will be lots of fun seeing the accuracy potential each can deliver!
    Last edited by wild_wild_wes; 09-04-07 at 22:38. Reason: more facts

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

I approve! Very nice!
    A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches...

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Very nice. Is there a big weight difference with the VIS-2 and the DD Light?
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The Vltor rifle weighs 7 lbs 5 oz without optic, and the DD weighs 7 lbs 4 oz without optic.

So, the Vltor reciever might be a tiny bit lighter, as it has an 18" barrel, and the DD a 16" barrel.

Feedback Score
    nicely done.
    "The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."—Colonel Robert J. Coates, USMC

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Very nice, If it were mine I'd have Randall pin that PRI folding front sight gas block.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Very nice. Just curious, you mentioned "chrome lined" vs "SS". Do you intend to purchase a SDI SS fluted barrel and then compare the two or are you going to go with another manufacturer?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart View Post
    Very nice. Just curious, you mentioned "chrome lined" vs "SS". Do you intend to purchase a SDI SS fluted barrel and then compare the two or are you going to go with another manufacturer?
    Sabre SS barrels are not advertised as being Match Grade...just made of stainless steel. From what I have heard, in fact they are not especially accurate.

I bought a non-fluted White Oak Armament midlength "SPR" barrel for my true precision build.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    Sabre SS barrels are not advertised as being Match Grade...just made of stainless steel. From what I have heard, in fact they are not especially accurate.
    What kind of accuracy do you hear about? Worse than MOA? Right at MOA?

Feedback Score
    Very Very nice - one thing that I would change is get rid of the PRI and ask Grant or Randall to install standard F marked FSP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast