Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New build...criticize it to death! Want it perfect

Feedback Score
    I want this to be a 3 gun rifle and good general purpose rifle while also serving as a shtf/HD/range fun. I know this sounds like a lot in one rifle, but my family is forcing me to shrink my gun collection down so I am selling or have sold my other ar's. Keeping one AR, one pocket pistol, one compact pistol, one full size pistol, one shotgun, and one plinker 22lr pistol. My gun collection, especially my AR collection has gotten a little out of hand and most of them were first project builds that weren't so ideal.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Here is a bit of input, but not criticism.

The BCM lightweight is a button rifled barrel, according to what I have read. If you get a Daniel Defense lightweight barrel it will cold hammer forged.

The lower is purely a matter of stylistic preference, as any lower will work. However, some people roll their eyes at Spikes because of past marketing practices. If you get another roll mark on your lower, it could improve subjective perception of the whole rifle. (Noveske, BCM, etc.)

The handguard tends to offset the weight savings of the ltwt bbl. Have you considered the Troy Extreme handguard?

Feedback Score
    Is there any way I can buy a new BCM upper with a pinned low profile gas block that is not a hack job? Im wanting to spend about $900 total minus optics. Luckily I already have the lower assembled. I also do not have the proper tools to torque a barrel if I were to install new free float handguards. This is the primary reason I was considering the DD Omega rail.
    Last edited by pjchang7; 02-08-11 at 01:18.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pjchang7 View Post
    Is there any way I can buy a new BCM upper with a pinned low profile gas block that is not a hack job? Im wanting to spend about $900 total minus optics. Luckily I already have the lower assembled. I also do not have the proper tools to torque a barrel if I were to install new free float handguards. This is the primary reason I was considering the DD Omega rail.
    Hey, just a heads up Daniel Defense has "pinned" low pro gas blocks on there barrels..... https://danieldefense.com/cold-hamme...nfiguration=12

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    A suggestion.

Skip the FF rail altogether. I bet that if you do that, and instead invest in ammo, magazines, and training, you won't miss it one bit.

I'm having trouble with BCM's site at the moment, but take a look at this article.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    BCM seems to be working again

$399 BCM Standard 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group
    $140 BCM Bolt Carrier Group (MPI) - Auto
    $23 BCM AR15 Charging Handle
    $20 Mid-length Handguard
    $360 BCM Lower Receiver Group w/ M4 Stock Body
    $942 total. You'll need a rear sight that can range from $50 to $150.

Optional upgrades would be going all MOE furniture instead of the A2/M4 furniture in the above. You'd get a $40 credit and add back in another ~$100 to purchase all the MOE kit.

Similar budget gun. Mid-length MOE didn't exist at the time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    BCM seems to be working again

$399 BCM Standard 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group
    $140 BCM Bolt Carrier Group (MPI) - Auto
    $23 BCM AR15 Charging Handle
    $20 Mid-length Handguard
    $360 BCM Lower Receiver Group w/ M4 Stock Body
    $942 total. You'll need a rear sight that can range from $50 to $150.

Optional upgrades would be going all MOE furniture instead of the A2/M4 furniture in the above. You'd get a $40 credit and add back in another ~$100 to purchase all the MOE kit.

Similar budget gun. Mid-length MOE didn't exist at the time.

Thanks for all your help rob. I've decided on my final parts list after reevaluating what I need from this gun.

Spike's Tactical stripped lower - already have
    Daniel Defense LPK - already have
    BCM stock/receiver extension assembly w/H buffer - already have
    Magpul MOE buttstock - already have
    Daniel Defense QD rear sling mount
    Magpul MOE grip - already have
    Magpul MIAD enhanced trigger guard
    BCM 16" midlength lightweight complete upper w/cold hammer forged barrel
    BCM M16 bolt carrier group
    BCM gunfighter charging handle
    Daniel Defense Omega 9.0 Free Float Handguards
    Troy Industries Rear Folding BUIS
    Aimpoint T-1 red dot sight
    Larue Tactical LT660 mount

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The Omega handguard is the only part I'd change. A FF handguard isn't a must-own, but the slick handguards are lighter, and that overall setup can be far superior.

You can get a 9" TROY or TROY/VTAC handguard (or go longer and run a DD Fixed Front Sight) and be ahead on weight, and still not add much cost.

Everything else there is on point - as far as I can tell - I don't know the mission that rifle is intended for, but that will handle most anything.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    I think you've got a great plan going there.

If you're set on going the Aimpoint micro route, you could save a little coin by getting an H1 instead of a T1.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I still don't understand why you're using a free-float rail. It's an added expense, complexity, and in the case of the one you're choosing there is some added weight too.

You have the MOE grip and MOE stock so why not the MOE handguard?

and I agree with the above re: the H-1 over the T-1. In fact, I prefer the H-1 and don't consider it strictly a matter of cost as the invisible settings of the T-1 are wholly useless without NV.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast