Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: "Oh No! I bought a BM/RRA/Stag before I knew better!"

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rmecapn View Post
    I don't know, Grant. This is the question I posed to them in my email:
    "I was wondering if you could tell me if you magnetic particle test your AR-15 bolts? If so, do you mark those bolts as being MP tested in any way?"

And the reply above is what was returned. It is my understanding that batch testing is sufficient to meet the requirements of the TDP. However, if they told you they were testing each individual bolt, then I'd say you were definitely mislead (intentionally or not). Is this similar to the issue that S&W had with them?
    I do believe batch testing is just fine and I personally use a batch tested bolt in my OTD gun.

I have not purchased any new bolts from CMT for over a year so the bolt you have is most likely MP tested as at that time, everything was MP'd.

C4

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by carbinero View Post
    I just received a back-up bolt from BCM. I'm not messing around with "I thought" on this part; the original will ride the bench.

Note: received by US Mail in a beat up express box with a split large enough for a bolt to squeeze through. Bolt in sealed heavy duty clear plastic bag: not the worse for wear. Bolt assumed 100% GTG.

I have always had good experiences when contacting Bushmaster for parts and information. No returns, no issues.

This is a great thread by the way, Rob.
    "Facit Omina Voluntas = The Will Decides" - Army Chief

Feedback Score
    We have Colt's, Demaico's, and now Colt Canada guns at work.

I have a Colt 6920, Stag N8CQB, and an RRA 9mm at home.

I'm very happy with my Stag for a personal rifle, so much so that I'm going to sell the 6920 to fund other projects.
    I AM a CanadianGunSlinger!!!!!!

Cede Nullis

Feedback Score
    ATTENTION ROB!!!

I have to say that I love this post. I have a Colt M-16 A2 sporter (I have had for 18 years) and came across a good deal on a BM 14.5 M-4 Izzy. I shot the BM the first time out in Febuary to sight and function check......14 full 30 round mags (420 rounds) and 4 different brands of 55 gr. ammo. About 200 or so into the maiden run of this fun rifle, I had a double feed; an empty case with a live one wanting to come up the ramp. This was a fresh Remington green box round. (as opposed to Wolf which BTW functioned 100% thru 90 rounds).

Stunned, I said "I'm going to do a few Rob upgrades". My 2 brother-in-laws that were with me, 1 an absolute gun nut and the other a 12 year Army vet and very familuar with the M-16 both said "What! It's one failure in a break-in, its fine. Its probably just a bad round or magazine" I said "no way". "I will give this one more shake upon my next visit to the range, but if it fails then, I'm selling it". I own 2 GLOCKS that are 100% after a collective 4500 rounds, so I compare everything to GLOCK now. Anyway, I marked the supect mag with a marker and set it aside to try again next time.

Anyway, other than that we got it battle sighted (running stock iron sights) and produced a wonderful 3" round hole in the middle of the paper after it was all said and done. But I noticed that the next day my shoulder also had a bruise on it. Mind you, I probably only shot 200-250 rounds myself because my brother-in-laws were also shooting it and helping me sight it.

So off to the "Rob list" I went: H buffer and a crane black insert and O-ring from Bravo Company.....tossed in a few more mags and Gen II Magpul followers too (I think those green ones suck -they tilt too much for me)Installed the new buffer and upgraded extractor.

Fast foward to last month, my 2nd visit to the range with this rifle.... 15 full mags, 450 rounds now, 3 different 55 gr ammo; once re-loaded Lake City from a gun show, Tiawan PMC and another 90 rounds (3 full mags) of steel Wolf that all AR guys seem to hate. (Again, I'm a GLOCK guy, I feel that that firearm should eat everything). My point is, this is less than desirable ammo.

I'm by my self this time, so I will have to take all 450 rounds into my shoulder. How will I and the rifle fair this time? Remember, I will sell this POS if it fails again and I need to eleminate a possible bad magazine.

RESULT: AMAZING! 100% reliability, noticably less recoil and a nice tight pile of brass and steel about 8 feet from my 4 o'clock! The suspect mag which I intentionally loaded with the Wolf crap; 100%. The next day I did not feel a thing in my shoulder and NOT PHYSICAL SIGN on my body, i.e. bruise.

I attribute the wonderful function to the upgraded extractor (which I feel was the cause of the original double feed) and the H buffer (which I attribute to a comfortable shooting sesion - and maybe a slower bolt action) to a happy and trust-worthy rifle.

Thanks Rob! Its amazing what a $25 buffer and $3 extractor upgrade can do.
    "As a member of the House Intelligence Committee, I am keenly aware that the proliferation of chemical and biological weapons is an issue of grave importance to all nations. Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process." -- Nancy Pelosi, December 16, 1998

Feedback Score
    grant just posted a topic on how to square away a bushmaster rifle. it more or less applies across the board to the STAG line of AR's also.

check it out.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13532

Feedback Score
    Very informative post for an EBR noob such as myself.

Feedback Score

Wink

thanks rob this info you (and posibly friends) have collected and posted helped me out. now i have lots to check when i get home from IQ. and a way better understanding of the AR all together.
    Last edited by furyfighter20; 01-31-09 at 14:11.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I just discovered this thread and wanted to know, can better parts (such as LMT) be put into a lesser quality gun without any issues? Or would the tolerances not match up?

I'm asking because, yes I have a DPMS AP4 (I got it with the sale of a bolt gun) and I wanted to get a spare BCG and was looking at LMT's BCG. But I don't want to spend the money if it wouldn't work. I already did the extractor and buffer upgrades.
    Last edited by R/Tdrvr; 02-19-09 at 07:27.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The LMT BCG will drop right in.

Years ago, tolerances on things like uppers and lowers were an issue, but are much less of a problem these days.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the reply. I haven't had any issues with this gun so far, as I did take the time to take care of some "minor" things that have been mentioned on this forum. I just want to make this gun a little bit better, as trying to buy a Tier 1 type gun really isn't an option right now.

Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast