Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: "Oh No! I bought a BM/RRA/Stag before I knew better!"

Feedback Score

My little bro told me " My DPMS is a lot better than your S&W!

My little brother has a DPMS carbine. I bought a S&W M&P15. JoeFriday has seen both of them. The S&W is a lot better according to multiple people. My little brother told me upon buying it, " My DPMS is built to higher specs, TPP to be exact. " I about died laughing. Turns out, his DPMS had almost no staking on from the factory. He finally went to JoeFriday here on the forums, and got it staked properly. I have not let him live it down yet. He also told me that the guys at a local gun shop told him he was a fool to even think about buying a PMAG. He still is mad about the youtube video I showed him, especially since he has 5 H&K magazines.

Feedback Score

Ignorance is not bliss

When I shot High Power, my M1A was "my" gun. Then we changed to AR's. Bushmaster was "my" gun. Colt was good too. I've had 2 Pythons, 2 Gold Cups, an HK91, and a bunch of other QUALITY firearms through the years. I wish I still had those last five. My BM never gave me any trouble, and shot better than I could. So did the rest of them.

So in my ignorance, I didn't bother to learn whether BM's were as good as they were 20 years ago. In my ignorance I didn't know the M4 site existed until a few days ago. So naturally in my ignorance last spring I bought--what else--another BM. I originally bought a BM 20 years ago because at that time Colt was losing it's mind, like it had Alzheimer's, and using big pins. BM used little pins, the GI size. That settled it.

Then I stumbled onto M4 three days ago. I just found this thread about 2 hours ago. After I wrote to a fine gentleman whose reply I read 3 hours ago. If I had found this thread, I could have saved both of us some hassle. But he was real nice, and tuned me right up. Now I have to make up my mind:do I get rid of the BM and get a Colt, perform the recommended fixes for now, or sit down and bawl?

I could have laid down another $300 and had the Colt. I've had a number of Colt firearms, and still have my Combat Elite ,45 that C&S built up for me. It too shoots better than I ever will. Laughridge can make a raggedy hole; mine are scattered around. But it is 100% reliable, and feeds flawlessly any make, type, and weight of bullet you put in it. Everything but the .45 ACP shotshells made from 7.62x51 cases. Since it's my nite-nite pistol, I keep it loaded with the new FBI round (yes, at $35 a box I've run a few magazines "just to be sure").

Rob, this is a hell of a thread. These technical details never come up anywhere in the gun rags. Lose too many advertisers, I expect. Great public service.

To those of you who think this is a pissing contest about "my gun's just as good as yours" I say this: Would you bet your life on it? I keep my .45 by the bed and a LED Maglight. I keep the BM and 97Winchester 12 gauge loaded--the pistol is to fight my way to them. The 97 was worked over by a former NG armorer at Camp Dodge north of Des Moines.The BM will go to a present day NG armorer who runs his own shop at Van Meter, just 20 miles away from Des Moines, and am I glad he's back safe and sound from Iraq!!! He can make the corrections listed in the thread from Rob and GRTactical.

Ignorance is not bliss: it can be as deadly as overreacting to facts one does not like. Fortunately, much of my ignorance has been cured by this thread, even if it did hurt my feelings a little bit to find out just how ignorant I am. But I can deal with hurt feelings better than assuming room temperature because of ignorance.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Don View Post
    Rob, this is a hell of a thread. These technical details never come up anywhere in the gun rags. Lose too many advertisers, I expect. Great public service.
    Thank you. I'm glad you found the information useful and interesting.

Hopefully an article inspired by this original post will actually appear in print soon. Just as soon as I can get my photos taken and the article submitted.
    Last edited by rob_s; 08-12-09 at 04:21.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Don,

Having no idea what configuration your BM is I would suggest the following.

I would seriously consider cleaning the upper receiver group and selling it, then I would purchase a Bravo Company, Daniel Defense or other and slap it on your lower. If you are happy with the stock then I would leave the receiver extension alone. I would buy a Bravo Company bolt (keep your carrier) and get everything headspaced and you will be good to go.

This would probably be the easiest and most cost effective option.

When I shot High Power, my M1A was "my" gun. Then we changed to AR's. Bushmaster was "my" gun. Colt was good too. I've had 2 Pythons, 2 Gold Cups, an HK91, and a bunch of other QUALITY firearms through the years. I wish I still had those last five. My BM never gave me any trouble, and shot better than I could. So did the rest of them.

So in my ignorance, I didn't bother to learn whether BM's were as good as they were 20 years ago. In my ignorance I didn't know the M4 site existed until a few days ago. So naturally in my ignorance last spring I bought--what else--another BM. I originally bought a BM 20 years ago because at that time Colt was losing it's mind, like it had Alzheimer's, and using big pins. BM used little pins, the GI size. That settled it.

Then I stumbled onto M4 three days ago. I just found this thread about 2 hours ago. After I wrote to a fine gentleman whose reply I read 3 hours ago. If I had found this thread, I could have saved both of us some hassle. But he was real nice, and tuned me right up. Now I have to make up my mind:do I get rid of the BM and get a Colt, perform the recommended fixes for now, or sit down and bawl?

I could have laid down another $300 and had the Colt. I've had a number of Colt firearms, and still have my Combat Elite ,45 that C&S built up for me. It too shoots better than I ever will. Laughridge can make a raggedy hole; mine are scattered around. But it is 100% reliable, and feeds flawlessly any make, type, and weight of bullet you put in it. Everything but the .45 ACP shotshells made from 7.62x51 cases. Since it's my nite-nite pistol, I keep it loaded with the new FBI round (yes, at $35 a box I've run a few magazines "just to be sure").

To those of you who think this is a pissing contest about "my gun's just as good as yours" I say this: Would you bet your life on it? I keep my .45 by the bed and a LED Maglight. I keep the BM and 97Winchester 12 gauge loaded--the pistol is to fight my way to them. The 97 was worked over by a former NG armorer at Camp Dodge north of Des Moines.The BM will go to a present day NG armorer who runs his own shop at Van Meter, just 20 miles away from Des Moines, and am I glad he's back safe and sound from Iraq!!! He can make the corrections listed in the thread from Rob and GRTactical.

Ignorance is not bliss: it can be as deadly as overreacting to facts one does not like. Fortunately, much of my ignorance has been cured by this thread, even if it did hurt my feelings a little bit to find out just how ignorant I am. But I can deal with hurt feelings better than assuming room temperature because of ignorance.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score

Tell Terry Gillette "hi" from Drew. He is truly good people, and I plan on stopping by one of these days.

He runs a great store, and really knows his way around a firearm, to boot.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

This is a good post and can tell that you are a "thinking man" VS the "feelings man." The thinking man realizes what he does not know and goes about learning all he can AND makes public declarations about it.

The feelings man jumps up and down and says that his AR is "good enough" and gets emotionally tied to his point of view.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 08-12-09 at 08:30.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    This is a good post and can tell that you are a "thinking man" VS the "feelings man." The thinking man realizes what he does not know and goes about learning all he can AND makes public declarations about it.

The feelings man jumps up and down and says that his AR is "good enough" and gets emotionally tied to his point of view.

C4

How true that is .............

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Questions from an M4carbine.net newbie

I hope you folks don't mind a newbie making his first post in this thread.

I have three AR15s (and one AR10, I'll save it for another time):

1) Colt A2 HBAR upper w/Colt BCG on Stag lower
    2) Colt AR15-A1 SP-1 all OEM
    3) LMT 16-inch M4 upper on RRA lower

The BCG on the RRA is hard-chromed, as is the bolt. The bolt has a large "D" on one side, and the BC has a "D" on the left side about 1.5-inch from the front. Is there any way to determine the manufacturer of these parts? Or should I simply replace the BCG with a "top tier" jobber and have done with it?

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I believe that "D" is representative of DPMS.

Quote Originally Posted by thisaway View Post
    I hope you folks don't mind a newbie making his first post in this thread.

I have three AR15s (and one AR10, I'll save it for another time):

1) Colt A2 HBAR upper w/Colt BCG on Stag lower
    2) Colt AR15-A1 SP-1 all OEM
    3) LMT 16-inch M4 upper on RRA lower

The BCG on the RRA is hard-chromed, as is the bolt. The bolt has a large "D" on one side, and the BC has a "D" on the left side about 1.5-inch from the front. Is there any way to determine the manufacturer of these parts? Or should I simply replace the BCG with a "top tier" jobber and have done with it?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    I'm new to ARs and to this site. Unfortunately, I bought a Bushmaster about two months ago. I ran across this site before I ever shot it and I have been trying to sell it every since...with no luck. I really want a BCM but I can't afford one without selling this Bushmaster first.

I have finally accepted the fact that I will probably have to keep it. However, now I am soured on the whole thing and will probably end up leaving it in the safe forever hoping that the government tries to pass another gun ban so I can move it. This sucks. I wish I would have found this site just two days earlier and saved myself some headache and heartache.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get rid of this piece of $&@% without taking a huge hickey?

Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast