Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: "Oh No! I bought a BM/RRA/Stag before I knew better!"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Not really. It happens somewhat rarely however. Generally speaking the lower in it's entirety is less responsible for reliability issues. Even a less-than-stellar LPK like a DPMS can be acceptable provided it doesn't present any assembly issues and that it survives the first several hundred or thousand rounds.

The biggest difference is that the true military receiver extensions are forged while the commercial extensions are extruded. In fact, most extensions sold as "milspec" are milspec in size only and are themselves extrusions as well.

Is any of that the end of the world? No. Is forged still better? Yes.
    Rob, Grant posted a while back that impact extruded receiver extensions are indeed in spec according to TDP.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=18218

post 16
    Last edited by slustan; 02-17-10 at 10:49.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by michschi View Post
    Whats to say that you are planning on selling it. As far as putting lipstick on pigs, there are alot of people on the forums that I belong to that own all kinds of Frankenstein guns with quality guts. Who cares about the rolls marks as long as it accurate and reliable
    It isn't about resale value in and of itself, or the roll marks for that matter. The "issue," if you will, is that you'll pay double (if not more) for after-market upgrades to your weapon. You could have gotten the same upgrades at half the cost (or less) if you had ordered your weapon with the modifications directly from the manufacturer, as they typically base their pricing on OEM/white-box components.

Should you ever go to sell your gun, you will almost never get anywhere near to your money back out of it, and relatively very few people (myself included) are interested in a non-factory configured, self-modified weapon. When compared to the fact that you could have sold your original weapon at a slight loss, then purchased your new "left side of the chart" gun with everything you wanted, you come out about spending the same amount that you would have for your upgrades to the original weapon. With that in mind, the logical choice is clear.
    Last edited by Skyyr; 02-17-10 at 10:55.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyyr View Post
    It isn't about resale value in and of itself, or the roll marks for that matter. The "issue," if you will, is that you'll pay double (if not more) for after-market upgrades to your weapon. You could have gotten the same upgrades at half the cost (or less) if you had ordered your weapon with the modifications directly from the manufacturer, as they typically base their pricing on OEM/white-box components.

Should you ever go to sell your gun, you will almost never get anywhere near to your money back out of it, and relatively very few people (myself included) are interested in a non-factory configured, self-modified weapon. When compared to the fact that you could have sold your original weapon at a slight loss, then purchased your new "left side of the chart" gun with everything you wanted, you come out about spending the same amount that you would have for your upgrades to the original weapon. With that in mind, the logical choice is clear.

I am one of those guys that like things the way I like them. I never plan on selling any of my guns so resale don't mean much to me. There a are certain parts I like from different companies and not from others. I would be swapping out no matter what rollmarks I own!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am one of those guys that like things the way I like them. I never plan on selling any of my guns so resale don't mean much to me. There a are certain parts I like from different companies and not from others. I would be swapping out no matter what rollmarks I own!
    If that's truly the case, your best bet would be to buy a stripped lower, build it out, and pair it to an upper of your choice. You can build the gun to your liking and the final cost of the lower is almost always cheaper than buying it pre-assembled.
    Last edited by Skyyr; 02-17-10 at 11:05.

Feedback Score
    Whats to say that you are planning on selling it. As far as putting lipstick on pigs, there are alot of people on the forums that I belong to that own all kinds of Frankenstein guns with quality guts. Who cares about the rolls marks as long as it accurate and reliable
    I have to agree..

I own a bushmaster and have never had an issue in the past 2 years. I know for sure 2000+ rounds have been put through it because we buy in 1000 round boxes. I recently started swapping out parts after learning about some of the issues with bushmaster but still I think after 2000+ rounds without a single issue (stripping, extracting,ejecting) and great accuracy I would much rather spend the $900 on my current rifle than the $2000+ on one of the "quality" weapons.

If you would have told me I could spend $900 or $2000 and had the same reliability I certainly would have taken the $900 deal. I'm fine with 2 inch groups at 300 yards. With the leftover $1100 I saved I'll just go buy another Bushy and have a backup haha.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WinSomeLoseNone View Post
    I would much rather spend the $900 on my current rifle than the $2000+ on one of the "quality" weapons.
    It may have been $900 vs $2000 a while ago, however it is more like $950 vs $1100 now. (and yes I know it could be less than $950, but it could be less than $1100 on sale)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WinSomeLoseNone View Post
    I would much rather spend the $900 on my current rifle than the $2000+ on one of the "quality" weapons.
    where do people get these numbers? Who said anything about $2000+?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    where do people get these numbers? Who said anything about $2000+?
    http://www.lewismachine.net/product....e166245af3e49b

just an example, there are plenty others for around this price.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    that is comparing apples to oranges.... this is more like it...
    http://www.lewismachine.net/product....66acac8069445b

or this...

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...ategory%3DBCOM
    -They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security- Benjamin Franklin

-Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Live, I will kill you. If I Die, You are forgiven." Such is the Rule of Honor.- Lamb of God- Omerta

ابن بيت وأنا كافر

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shrockster View Post
    that is comparing apples to oranges.... this is more like it...
    http://www.lewismachine.net/product....66acac8069445b

or this...

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...ategory%3DBCOM
    So for my next rifle what would you recommend. I have always liked LMT... not to informed about BCM products. whats going to get me the best bang for my buck under $1300.00
    Last edited by WinSomeLoseNone; 02-17-10 at 18:22.

Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast