Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: "Oh No! I bought a BM/RRA/Stag before I knew better!"

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobvila View Post
    You have obviously had a lot of training time, and seen a lot of failures, is it HONESTLY always with "shitty" guns?
    No. Stupid user tricks play a large part into the equation as well.

C4

Feedback Score
    Stupid user tricks
    Sorry I am new what is a stupid user trick?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    You have obviously had a lot of training time, and seen a lot of failures, is it HONESTLY always with "shitty" guns?
    What Grant is calling "stupid user tricks" plays a huge role. What I believe he means is people that just won't leave well enough alone. Some people know just enough to be dangerous, like the shooter I once saw that knew enough to stake the gas key screws but used a chisel and weekend the key itself. Or the guys that make so many changes to their carry pistol to "improve it" that the damn gun doesn't run anymore. Or my favorite, the only Colt I've ever seen fail in a class or a match, where the shooter had changed out the barrel!

However, I have also seen people come to class with a beautifully camouflaged firearm that couldn't get to lunch on the first day. Or the dozens of shooters that say on TD1 "I have thousands of rounds through this gun and it has been flawless" only to have it shit the bed the morning of TD2.

Then there's the shooter that certainly should know better (me, in this case) that has neglected parts replacement on his primary firearm, gotten multiple failures over the course of the class, and can't seem to focus on the problem at hand, and winds up with this as his reward.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Ah, the moose cock award. Actually, you should be proud of it Rob. Wish Pat had given me one sometime.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Sorry I am new what is a stupid user trick?
    Rob covered most of the answers. Stupid User Trick (AKA SUTK) can be a host of things. Here is the short list off the top of my head:

1. Buying crappy ammo (in order to save a few pennies).
    2. Not cleaning their weapons.
    3. Not lubricating their weapons.
    4. Not doing weapon PM's (changing out gas rings, ejector springs, buffer springs, extractor springs, extractor inserts, etc).
    5. Using worn out magazines.
    6. Installing after market components that can cause a malfunction *Cough Accuwedge *Cough

C4

Feedback Score
    ha, glad i didnt' buy that accuwedge.
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, MAYBE YOU SHOULD STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Errare Humanum Est, Sed Perseverare Diabolicum
    To Err Is Human, But To Persist Is Diabolical

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    6. Installing after market components that can cause a malfunction *Cough Accuwedge *Cough
    *Cough Enidine *Cough

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Grin Reaper View Post
    It's posts like these that make me ask why the rest of the internet can't work like this forum. This forum is blessedly short on "I heard from this guy"-stories, and long on "I've done the research, I've thought it through, here's the deal."
    Thanks, rob.
    Agreed, 100%.

As for my rifle, I bought a CMMG lower and LPK. So far, no issues from it, but on my next builds for social stuff and my SBR I will be using far better quality parts kits. Then I got my Stag 2H upper complete for $489 shipped. If I had known I could get a BCM upper for like $475 + the cost of a BCG and CH, I would have done that. Unfortunately they weren't in stock (well, nothing was at that point in time - Jan. 09) and had no way to back-order them IIRC.

I've got about 1k rounds through the gun so far, and the only issues I had were related to two aluminum C-Products mags that would flip the round vertical and jam it nose-first above the chamber into the top of my upper, which required stripping the magazine from the gun (and it did NOT want to come loose) and sticking my finger in the gun to get the round loose. Once I marked those two mags and stopped using them, no issues that weren't caused by me being a dimwit and not clicking the charging handle closed, etc.

I trust it to go bang if I need it to, but it was a budget build. My next gun (probably an SBR) will be made of BCM, Daniel Defense, Magpul, AAC, etc. goodness.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    *Cough Enidine *Cough

rob_s:

That's what you get for buying a palindrome.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

happy bm owner

new to the forum, bought my BM extra light in Aug 08 was really the only thing available at the time. made almost all the recommended changes with some exceptions, being an A1 stock because i despise collapsible stock (personal choice) superior shooting buffer,ejector,extractor springs 2,000 rnds so far works great. yes i know it's not a noveske, etc,etc. my question would be is the lower good enough to serve as part of a class gun? plan to build an upper using a Les Baer upper, Bcm mid length gov profile barrel, troy ind trx extreme 13" forend, low pro gas block, and fixed sights, Lmt bcg, pws 556 flash suppressor/ muzzle break, Bcm gunfighter charge handle md. any input would be appreciated

Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast