Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SHFT Truck or SUV?

Feedback Score

Cool SHFT Truck or SUV?

I have an 06 Silverado reg cab. Next truck will have extended cap. Or should I look at 4 runner size Suv? 4 wd or not. I live down FLA way. But who knows. Imput guys on an SHTF truck or suv.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Any truck with a V6 or greater and 4x4 should suffice. Of course, it depends on what you are planning to carry, how many people, terrain around where you live.

In the flat lands of FL, a simple V6 4x4 should work...it gets good mileage and can handle a little muddy field just fine. If you're in the mountains, probably a V8 due to hills and potentially rougher terrain.

Keep in mind that if a true SHTF situation were to manifest, fuel would be in VERY short supply and would likely be the first resource to disappear.

In my mind, the best SHTF vehicle is my own two legs with a good pair of boots attached to them. They are truly all-terrain, they don't get stuck in snow, mud, etc. They can scale boulders 100x their size and fjord a 100' lake. They don't run on fossil fuels and, although they're considerably slower than any 4x4 truck, in the end they can take me farther and over more obstacles.
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    1. Think EMP. Your SHTF rig should have no electronics. You can get some great 1960s and early 1970s pickup trucks with points that someone has mostly restored for $5K.

2. In SHTF, some ****ers will set up road blocks and shoot at you. Get 3/8" AR500 steel cut to the shape of the doors, behind the seat, floor, etc. so that you have a chance of surviving if shot at.

3. Make yourself a very stout bumper and grill guard which you can use to push other vehicles off the road. Also make some super heavy nerf bars for beside the doors.

4. Stored gasoline with preservative lasts 2-3 years. If you expect SHTF to last longer than that, get a deuce and a half with multifuel engine and do the AR500 steel thing to it.

5. Carry a motorcycle in the back of your SHTF pickup so that if the roads are impassible, you can abandon your truck and ride the motorcycle.

6. If you can afford it, get an APC.

Feedback Score

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 500grains View Post
    1. Think EMP. Your SHTF rig should have no electronics. You can get some great 1960s and early 1970s pickup trucks with points that someone has mostly restored for $5K.

2. In SHTF, some ****ers will set up road blocks and shoot at you. Get 3/8" AR500 steel cut to the shape of the doors, behind the seat, floor, etc. so that you have a chance of surviving if shot at.

3. Make yourself a very stout bumper and grill guard which you can use to push other vehicles off the road. Also make some super heavy nerf bars for beside the doors.

4. Stored gasoline with preservative lasts 2-3 years. If you expect SHTF to last longer than that, get a deuce and a half with multifuel engine and do the AR500 steel thing to it.

5. Carry a motorcycle in the back of your SHTF pickup so that if the roads are impassible, you can abandon your truck and ride the motorcycle.

6. If you can afford it, get an APC.
    Good points I didn't think of. The BIG IF you can get your truck on the move. Or done too the ole two feet. I've thought on EMP. But that takes most elec vechiles out. Let alone Coms.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Feet have no electronics, don't require gasoline and can go places where SUVs cannot!
    a former meatpuppet.

http://sixty-six.org

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I went through this conumdrum recently and traded in my 03 PU for an 08 SUV. Right now I need something that can keep the contents of my vehicle secured as well as having passenger carry capacity. Now Im thinking of a project involving a early 70s Suburban. If I have over sized stuff I can sit it on a trailer. Other than that it can go on the roof.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by panzerr View Post
    Feet have no electronics, don't require gasoline and can go places where SUVs cannot!
    LMAO, 99.9% of the population couldn't go further than 5 miles with out getting soar - a trip in the mall is considered a marathon. Now add 40-50lbs of crap on their back and meters will look like miles.

I understand too is an adverb and to is a preposition, I still prefer using to in place of too.

The way I see it I'll save maybe 5-10 minutes over my lifetime not typing that extra o at the end of to. Even typing up this explanation saves me more time than typing that extra o

Cheers,
    Mr. Smiles

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_smiles View Post
    LMAO, 99.9% of the population couldn't go further than 5 miles with out getting soar - a trip in the mall is considered a marathon. Now add 40-50lbs of crap on their back and meters will look like miles.
    Being sore and not being able to put one foot in front of the other are two different things. Given proper motivation anyone baring debilitating injury could push themselves if needed to.

There was a thread I saw a few weeks back with pictures of clogged highways. Imagine this in SHTF. If you live in the metro, you aren't getting anywhere by four wheels. Even if you don't live in the metro you may be stuck. The best insurance is staying fit enough to hump a ruck when you need to.
    a former meatpuppet.

http://sixty-six.org

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by panzerr View Post
    Given proper motivation anyone baring debilitating injury could push themselves if needed to.
    You have to much faith in people

I understand too is an adverb and to is a preposition, I still prefer using to in place of too.

The way I see it I'll save maybe 5-10 minutes over my lifetime not typing that extra o at the end of to. Even typing up this explanation saves me more time than typing that extra o

Cheers,
    Mr. Smiles

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    may wish to consider a simple mountain bike. it's an excellent force multiplier. if the going gets particularly vertical you can throw it on your shoulder and drag it up the slope with you, pretty tricky on a motorcycle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast