Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Geo tracking picture myth or true?

Feedback Score
    Don't post pictures of your shit on the 'net. I usually give some half-ass excuse when people occasionally ask me for pics on the web (like I still use film, which is true), but the real reason is that anything and everything you post on the web is there, forever, and I really don't like that.

Out of boredom and curiosity I've searched myself and found posts I made 15 years ago on places and about subjects I had totally forgotten about. I found a discussion I had with some Norwegian guy on a listgroup I thought was long dead. For years I couldn't even find mention of the group, then a couple years ago, up it popped in some university server cache.

Nobody is anonymous on the 'net, it's best to remember that. There is simply no such thing as running silent. You can minimize exposure though, and it is wise to do that.

I'm sure everyone here is savvy enough to know all of this anyway.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6933 View Post
    It does this with digital cameras also?
    The last P/S camera I bought, a Sony, has GPS....

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmanfms View Post
    Don't post pictures of your shit on the 'net. I usually give some half-ass excuse when people occasionally ask me for pics on the web (like I still use film, which is true), but the real reason is that anything and everything you post on the web is there, forever, and I really don't like that.
    It's easy enough to prevent metadata from being attached to images, but for GPS location it's as easy as just turning it off. They say.

If you really want to be paranoid, think about, for example, most new HD TVs. They virtually all connect to the internet. Same for most Blu-Rays DVD players. Turn 'em on and they'll search for a wifi connection in your house ostensibly for the reason of updating firmware etc. But, are they really collecting viewing data and sending it to some marketing wonks somewhere? And if you really want to have reason to tighten up your tinfoil, look at the Sony TV's with Presence Sensors. That sensor is actually a camera. Like a web cam. So, you buy a nice 48 inch Sony Bravia for your bedroom. Plug it in. It automatically connects to your wifi...and who knows whether or not there's some little perv at Sony somewhere who has remotely activated that camera? Just sayin'...

Oops...gotta go, I think I hear a helicopter circling my house. I can't see it because it's black....

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Any IT guy worth a damn could block this with ease. Monitor your outgoing bandwidth, lock it down. Not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    It's easy enough to prevent metadata from being attached to images, but for GPS location it's as easy as just turning it off. They say.

If you really want to be paranoid, think about, for example, most new HD TVs. They virtually all connect to the internet. Same for most Blu-Rays DVD players. Turn 'em on and they'll search for a wifi connection in your house ostensibly for the reason of updating firmware etc. But, are they really collecting viewing data and sending it to some marketing wonks somewhere? And if you really want to have reason to tighten up your tinfoil, look at the Sony TV's with Presence Sensors. That sensor is actually a camera. Like a web cam. So, you buy a nice 48 inch Sony Bravia for your bedroom. Plug it in. It automatically connects to your wifi...and who knows whether or not there's some little perv at Sony somewhere who has remotely activated that camera? Just sayin'...

Oops...gotta go, I think I hear a helicopter circling my house. I can't see it because it's black....

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    Any IT guy worth a damn could block this with ease. Monitor your outgoing bandwidth, lock it down. Not a big deal.
    Of course, people would need to know that there's a need to go out and hire an IT guy that's worth a damn. Geotagging has been around for at least a couple years but it seems to be a big surprise to people in this thread, and a big surprise to Adam Savage.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ok so I'm a retard when it comes to this kind of stuff but I want to learn. Is there a site that has lots of info about how to minimize all this stuff that is being discussed in this thread? Also, in regards to cell pictures, the "location" on my phone has two settings, "On" or "E911 Only". I have it set to the second so should my pics be secure?
    Tu ne cede malis
    http://mises.org

"Cheer up Jim. Thank God we don’t get as much government as we pay for!"
    -Charles Kettering

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12