Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPhone - Otterbox Defender vs Magpul Field Case: Go!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

iPhone - Otterbox Defender vs Magpul Field Case: Go!

Opinions? The otterbox is huge, and obviously protective, but it feels like a rubber-jacketed brick in my pocket.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've been rocking a Speck Pixelskin for two years, imo it's the perfect balance of protection while not making the phone huge.

The magpul case seems similar to the pixelskin, but is thinner (and therefore less protective). If I wasn't already happy with my Pixelskin I'd probably give it a shot.

I did try an Otterbox for a week before settling on the pixelskin and it turns the relatively sleek phone into a beast, unacceptable IMO.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I used the Otterbox for over a year. The Otterbox was great for protecting the phone, but after breaking two of the belt clips I tried it in pockets. In a jacket it was fine but in warmer weather or when I didn't have a coat on it stunk in slacks. With the belt clip I also had problems catching the door frame getting in and out of our Impalas and Vics. Several times I've sent my phone under a car because of it.
    Although I haven't personaly had this issue, several of our officers have had problems with the phones overheating while charging because of the Otterbox. From what we've been told by the Applestore that is why they do not sell them.
    I have the Magpul cover now. I like it much better. It does not have any protection for the screen, which is what gives me pause about it. I am thinking about adding one because of this.
    If you need armor plating for your phone, the Otterbox is great. If you don't, the Magpul is a great low profile means of protecting the phone.

Death hangs over thee: whilst yet thou livest, whilst thou mayest, be good.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    At $9.99, you aren't going to find a better case than the Magpul. I used one of the old cases on the 3Gs, and now use one of the new ones on a 4. For me, this is an easy call to make in favor of a great product with an astonishingly reasonable price tag.

AC

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    At $9.99, you aren't going to find a better case than the Magpul.
    The one possible exception (for the iPhone 4) being Noveske at the same price....

Last edited by Hmac; 02-13-11 at 18:07.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use Hello Kitty.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have the Magpul case on my iPhone4 and it is easily the best case I have seen for the phone. It fits almost perfect though the area by the volume buttons do not quite lay flat against the side of the phone. Either way, I love the case, just wish Magpul had them in other colors, like FG lol.

I also got the Noveske case, its not quite as good, does not cover the top and bottom of the phone and being just a think clip on piece of plastic I do not think it offers as much protection as the Magpul case.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    I currently use the apple Bumper but may have to pick up a Magpul case.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    I currently use the apple Bumper but may have to pick up a Magpul case.
    +1 apple bumper. It does not seem like a lot but it offer hard and soft plastic protection to the edges and corners, which if you drop it will be where it hits. I tried other cases (not magpul) but like the bumper the best. Obviously if you need hard armor this is not it, but for casual drops it works and the phone keeps its slim handy shape and size and is easy to get in and out of pockets etc.

I am a little cautious with iPhone 4 cases that enclose the back as if you get grit in there, I have read about stories of the glass braking or getting badly scratched from the abrasiveness of the grit between the case and the phone. I know, when I had a pre-release Magpul case on my 3GS, that some sand and dirt did get in there (ironically at a Magpul Dynamics class) and the back did get all scratched up, which cost me some money from Gazelle when I upgraded.

I did not think I would like the Apple Bumper but since they sent one to me free thanks to the bogus Antenna-gate I tried it and it ended up replacing the generic wrap around case I had had.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    The Magpul case is very nice before you consider the price. After factoring in the price it should be a no brainer for day to day use.

I did find that stippling the side improved my draw time from the pocket as I had a better master grip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast