Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SHFT Truck or SUV?

Feedback Score
    High quality LPC's and a beat up shopping cart for all of your shit.

Did you guys catch "The Road?"

Feedback Score

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by skyugo View Post
    may wish to consider a simple mountain bike. it's an excellent force multiplier. if the going gets particularly vertical you can throw it on your shoulder and drag it up the slope with you, pretty tricky on a motorcycle.
    Now IF one can get the 4 wheels too get out. Can't put much on a mountain bike. I could hump all day with no probleams. Until 6.5 years ago. When they gave me a new hip. So my pack mule days are gone.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I have a 3, 5 & 8 year old. The wife has a 2003 Highlander and I have an 2011 Silverado Crew Cab. They both have their strong points. Better mileage in the yota and more room and power in the Chevy. I wanted a new Tahoe but it was too expensive for me!

Humping is not much of an option with the little ones so bugging in is our first choice. I like the thought of a dirt bike or mountain bike as a back up in your vehicle.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 500grains View Post
    1. Think EMP. Your SHTF rig should have no electronics. You can get some great 1960s and early 1970s pickup trucks with points that someone has mostly restored for $5K.

2. In SHTF, some ****ers will set up road blocks and shoot at you. Get 3/8" AR500 steel cut to the shape of the doors, behind the seat, floor, etc. so that you have a chance of surviving if shot at.

3. Make yourself a very stout bumper and grill guard which you can use to push other vehicles off the road. Also make some super heavy nerf bars for beside the doors.

4. Stored gasoline with preservative lasts 2-3 years. If you expect SHTF to last longer than that, get a deuce and a half with multifuel engine and do the AR500 steel thing to it.

5. Carry a motorcycle in the back of your SHTF pickup so that if the roads are impassible, you can abandon your truck and ride the motorcycle.

6. If you can afford it, get an APC.

Gas'll be gone before the Humongous rules the waste dude.

Obsession with EMP never ceases to amaze me. I guess "survivalist" types fantasize about it because it is the most likely to make their Walter Mitty road warrior fantasies come true. Not speaking of you directly 500, just a trend I've noticed in the online prepping community.

OP, if I were you I'd stick to the truck you've got and spend the money on items of greater utility, like food and water purification. Or sock enough money away to buy a place to bug out to.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Or use the money to put your wife through dental school. An infected tooth or a lack of antibiotics/hygiene will be what kills the most in a SHTF, not lack of 4x4.

B_C

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 500grains View Post
    I hope 32.4grams doesn't mind a cross thread pic post. Think 3-wheel. New meaning to gun-truck!
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12