Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking hard at a OBR

Feedback Score

Looking hard at a OBR

So I have been looking at getting a SR25 or OBR, after basicly throwing a dart at the two, the OBR won out, my question now is 18" or 20" what are the pros and cons of each? I'm personally leaning 20", but than again I know nothing about how the 18" works.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    18" probably will not have enough power to get you to 1000 yards if that matters. Otherwise, better in every way.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    18" probably will not have enough power to get you to 1000 yards if that matters. Otherwise, better in every way.
    Can you elaborate?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Gas guns give up a little velocity to bolt guns because they tap off a little of the gases that propel the bullet to operate the weapon. My brother teaches a long range shooting course and the 18" gas guns starting going subsonic around 800 yards with a complete loss of predictability and reliability compared to when the round is supersonic.

The 18" gun will be lighter, handier, and more practical for everything you want to do with it. If you must ring steel at 1k, buy a $700 Remington 700.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    Gas guns give up a little velocity to bolt guns because they tap off a little of the gases that propel the bullet to operate the weapon. My brother teaches a long range shooting course and the 18" gas guns starting going subsonic around 800 yards with a complete loss of predictability and reliability compared to when the round is supersonic.

The 18" gun will be lighter, handier, and more practical for everything you want to do with it. If you must ring steel at 1k, buy a $700 Remington 700.
    Got it, I know on a rifle acion in 5.56 you loose less than 10 fps, but I dont know the loss of 2" in a 308.
    Last edited by mstennes; 02-21-11 at 14:47.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mstennes View Post
    Got it, I know on a rifle acion in 5.56 you loose less than 10 fps, but I dont know the loss of 2" in a 308.
    Guys who are pushing the 308 out to 1K are generally doing this with bolt guns and handloads that are pushing the limits of COAL to squeeze every bit velocity. Most autoloaders are going to have more limitations when it comes to COAL that limits performance to around 800 yards.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lanesmith View Post
    Guys who are pushing the 308 out to 1K are generally doing this with bolt guns and handloads that are pushing the limits of COAL to squeeze every bit velocity. Most autoloaders are going to have more limitations when it comes to COAL that limits performance to around 800 yards.
    So then going from 20" to 18" isnt going to make any difference than?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Again, so long as you're not trying to get past 800, no difference.

Feedback Score
    There will be no significant difference between 18 and 20 inch. KevinB has some posted sub MOA groups created by a 16" SR25EMC at 800 yards. Keep in mind that the 168 gr OTM will not do well beyond 700-800 yards due to trans-sonic stability issues. Stick with 175 grain or some bullet other than 168 OTM.

Also, the OBR is a great choice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lanesmith View Post
    There will be no significant difference between 18 and 20 inch. KevinB has some posted sub MOA groups created by a 16" SR25EMC at 800 yards. Keep in mind that the 168 gr OTM will not do well beyond 700-800 yards due to trans-sonic stability issues. Stick with 175 grain or some bullet other than 168 OTM.

Also, the OBR is a great choice.
    I pretty much only use 175 gr home rolled, in my bolt gun. I have been shooting AR's for quite some time, but never a gas gun for long range, heck its time to jump in. I know the difference from a 20" AR to a 18" AR using a rifle action gas system is less than 10 fps, so I was curious what the 308's difference was. The thing I like about a 18" its quicker, and much handier.
    Last edited by mstennes; 02-21-11 at 19:09.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast