Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 18" BCM rifle upper - range report

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

18" BCM rifle upper - range report

Man, I love BCM's work.

42-52 degrees. 70% (est.) humidity. Wind from behind a 3 mph full value.

Ammo is handloaded 69 gr SMKs, 24.5 gr RE-15, LC brass, OAL 2.255" and Tula SRP.

Distance: 100 yards

This is my first group out of the new rifle, had to come over 2 mil, hence the 8 shot group with the 2 outliers:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Here's the second group, still need to come down ~one mil:

[IMG][/IMG]
    .86 MOA over 10 rounds with only 20 down the tube, and with a std. SSA as the FCG and me driving. Gotta love it.

Shot the dot drill next (1/2" dots), and did pretty well (for me):

[IMG][/IMG]
    Now to do some load development and see if she'll really shoot!
    Last edited by mizer67; 02-23-11 at 17:33.

Feedback Score
    Cool!

Which 18" upper did you get? I got one of their 16" SS410 uppers to scope up as a "precision" AR, but haven't had a chance to set it up yet. Grant recommended it, said they're real shooters.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Awesome results man, and great shooting.

My 18" BCM SS410 is turning out the same type of tiny groups.

Cameron

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake'sDad View Post
    Cool!

Which 18" upper did you get? I got one of their 16" SS410 uppers to scope up as a "precision" AR, but haven't had a chance to set it up yet. Grant recommended it, said they're real shooters.
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-S...0%20vtrx13.htm

I bought this one above. I'm not a fan of stainless barrels in the white, but it's nothing that a little Gunkote won't fix. I'm really liking the TRX rail so far, when I was unsure of it before I ordered.

I also have a BCM Ionbonded 16" SS410 that I put an Omega rail on.
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-S...%20ib%20bk.htm

It'll shoot round for round right along with the 18" above, but it's harder for me to drive the way it's set up right now. My best group of 10 using 77gr SMKs was .69" CTC, but it averages .97" over 20 averaged 10-round groups, with me doing the shooting as the limiting factor. Here's an example I had on file here, the vertical stringing is all me:
    Last edited by mizer67; 02-13-11 at 08:07.

Feedback Score
    Excellent. The 16" I bought was with the 11" TRX. Looking forward to getting glass on it and seeing if it'll shoot.

Great photo as well!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for posting this. I got the exact upper you have for Christmas and just this Friday had a chance to shoot it with a scope mounted. I didn't get the accuracy results that you did, but I'll be the first to admit I am most likely the limiting factor. Shot both Black Hills 69gr OTM and Prvi 75gr OTM with the BH shooting just over 1 MOA 5 round groups and the Prvi right around 2 MOA.

What kind of mount and optic are you using?
    “The ruling class doesn’t care about public safety. Having made it very difficult for States and localities to police themselves, having left ordinary citizens with no choice but to protect themselves as best they can, they now try to take our guns away. In fact they blame us and our guns for crime. This is so wrong that it cannot be an honest mistake.” – former U.S. Sen. Malcolm Wallop (R-Wy.)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra66 View Post
    Thanks for posting this. I got the exact upper you have for Christmas and just this Friday had a chance to shoot it with a scope mounted. I didn't get the accuracy results that you did, but I'll be the first to admit I am most likely the limiting factor. Shot both Black Hills 69gr OTM and Prvi 75gr OTM with the BH shooting just over 1 MOA 5 round groups and the Prvi right around 2 MOA.

What kind of mount and optic are you using?
    Larue for the mount, think it's called their LT-104.

Weaver GS Tactical 3-10X40 for the optic (Midway for ~$299). It's a good budget optic, IMO while your saving up for better glass. It passes the box test and the glass is pretty good for the price.

I'd skip the Privi for serious accuracy.
    Last edited by mizer67; 02-13-11 at 20:03.

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Im using a 16in SS410 for my 3gun Rifle and just finished a Mk12 Mod1 build with a 18in SS410.

My 3gun rifle with 1-4x24 Burris XTR will clang the standard 4 MOA size Steel all the way out to 400 repeatedly and very quickly. Im using 68gr Hornady BTHP Match loads from Dallas Reloading Services. Right at 1.5 MOA from a mechanical rest at 100yds to sight it in with(mechinical rest the gun is secured and all adjustments are done with the rest itself, takes the shooter out of the equation, other than trigger pull consistency)

My Mk12 Mod1 is an amazing shooter. Using the same load for my 3gun rifle, and the same mechinical rest, fire 4 10shot groups ranging from .93in to 1.25in at 100yds is very impressive, at least to me.

The SS410 barrels from BCM are top notch.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake'sDad View Post
    Excellent. The 16" I bought was with the 11" TRX. Looking forward to getting glass on it and seeing if it'll shoot.

Great photo as well!
    I think you'll like your 16". I haven't heard of one that won't shoot yet with GMM or BH OTMs. The reloaded Privi I've shot was at best, 1.75-2", nothing to write home about.

For the price BCM charges for them completed, it's hard to go wrong.
    Last edited by mizer67; 02-13-11 at 19:43.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfuhrman View Post
    Im using a 16in SS410 for my 3gun Rifle and just finished a Mk12 Mod1 build with a 18in SS410.

My 3gun rifle with 1-4x24 Burris XTR will clang the standard 4 MOA size Steel all the way out to 400 repeatedly and very quickly. Im using 68gr Hornady BTHP Match loads from Dallas Reloading Services. Right at 1.5 MOA from a mechanical rest at 100yds to sight it in with(mechinical rest the gun is secured and all adjustments are done with the rest itself, takes the shooter out of the equation, other than trigger pull consistency)

My Mk12 Mod1 is an amazing shooter. Using the same load for my 3gun rifle, and the same mechinical rest, fire 4 10shot groups ranging from .93in to 1.25in at 100yds is very impressive, at least to me.

The SS410 barrels from BCM are top notch.
    My experience is very similar to yours using Hornady's, about 1.2" over multiple 10-round groups in the 16" SS410 barrel.

SMKs shoot better for me, as seen above, even though the difference is relatively minor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast