Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Relocating Gas Port

Feedback Score

Relocating Gas Port

"Relocate Gas Port For moving Gas Port Location $35.00
    If you want move your gas port from the rifle to MID, or MID to CAR. If the new location needs contoured, the contour fee/job must be selected."

This is a service ADCO offers. I am looking to see if there is anyone who has moved the gas port from carbine length to mid.

I am looking to get my first AR and am probably going to get a LE6920. My only issue has been the carbine length gas system on the 16" barrel.

Is this an option to consider? Also, the wording could imply you can only shorten a gas system.

Any help would be appreciated.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I wouldn't do it.

If you want Colt quality, but in a middy then look at BCM, DD or Noveske.

C4

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    "Relocate Gas Port For moving Gas Port Location $35.00
    If you want move your gas port from the rifle to MID, or MID to CAR. If the new location needs contoured, the contour fee/job must be selected."

This is a service ADCO offers. I am looking to see if there is anyone who has moved the gas port from carbine length to mid.

I am looking to get my first AR and am probably going to get a LE6920. My only issue has been the carbine length gas system on the 16" barrel.

Is this an option to consider? Also, the wording could imply you can only shorten a gas system.

Any help would be appreciated.
    What is the issue with a 6920 that you would consider relocating the gas port? By the way, the cost is really north of $400 as the Colt barrel will be a total loss.

Feedback Score
    I have been in the research phase for a month now and happen to come across this the other day.

I've found several debate regarding carbine and mid length gas system. The mid length seems to be the overwhelming choice but the 6920 is often recommended despite the carbine length gas system.

After seeing this service I was curious why moving the gas port hadn't been mentioned much. It would seem to be an inexpensive way to have the best of both worlds if it was viable.

Feedback Score
    107 (100%)
    Get the Colt 6920 and dont look back, the carbine length is just fine.

Save up for a second rifle, or upper in midlength.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

I'd get in touch with Red Jacket Firearms. I'd bet they can install two Gas Blocks with proper valving so you can switch back and forth between carbine and mid-length actions.

Just curious, since you've been researching for a month, what is the consensus you've discovered.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrt View Post

I'd get in touch with Red Jacket Firearms. I'd bet they can install two Gas Blocks with proper valving so you can switch back and forth between carbine and mid-length actions.

Just curious, since you've been researching for a month, what is the consensus you've discovered.

The only surprise here is that it didn't happen sooner.

If you can dream it, we can build it!

Feedback Score

As previously stated, mid-length much better than carbine but le6920 is still the best gun. That is what I've gathered.

As for all the hating on Red Jacket and the show; I think we should be happy that there are any gun related shows on channels as popular as Discovery being that the entertainment industry is 90% anti gun.
    Last edited by OldState; 02-13-11 at 23:33.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    First AR? Get the 6920 and never look back. Then you can look into fine tuning gas systems as you become more skilled and knowledgeable.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

HA!

OP, if you go with a 6920 just stick with the carbine gas. If you want a mid length, buy a quality mid-length. A 16in carbine gas system may not be the optimal system out there, but its been getting the job done for years. I recommend you look into a 6720, lightweight barrel model, because when you start adding stuff to the rifle like optics, light, sling, foregrip, whatever, the weight adds up quickly.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast