Thread: barrel flex with Larue Handguards

Feedback Score

barrel flex with Larue Handguards

I have a 16'' mid barrel from DD that was installed using the Larue 13.2'' handguards and barrel nut. I tightened the nut to 40lb/ft when installing it.

Anyways, my question is, is it normal to have a little up and down and lateral flex to the barrel? i'm not talking about play, just flex. if i pinch the barrel and the handguard together i can induce some flex, is this normal? the gun shoots 2-3in 5 shots groups with a red dot @100yards, so accuracy is acceptable.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Yes all barrels will have some flex. The amount depends on the contour and individual barrel material.

Thats the point of the FF tube. To isolate the barrel from the rest of the gun including external forces. A non-FF tube would transfer external pressure to the barrel causing it to flex. A barrel inside a FF tube will be free of such pressures.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Yep, that's normal.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Completely normal. I have a DD lite 12.0 over a 14.5 middy that does that very easily.

Feedback Score
    thanks for the replies. i'm glad to know i didn't botch my first build somehow.