Thread: Stock detent spring/detent

Feedback Score

Stock detent spring/detent

Hello,

I need help. I tried the search function but it is not working at all for me.

I just tried replacing the stock on my new Colt with a six position collapsible stock (My first time) and am having a hard time placing the detent(small 1/4" plastic rod) and the spring in the reciever hole.

As I am trying to do it the spring seems to long and will not seat.I am placing the detent rod in the hole first and then the spring but I can not lower the steel plate because the spring extends to far out of the reciever.

Any assistance as to what I may be doing wrong would be appreciated. Thanks Don

Feedback Score
    Are you able to compress the spring so that it enters the receiver completely with your finger? If so then the spring is fine.

You need to hold the spring in the receiver with your finger or something flat as you slide the end plate over it. First time I put one on it was annoying but it will go in ok, just take your time.

Edit to add - Is this the same spring and detent you took out of the receiver before installing the 6 pos?

Shawn
    Last edited by altramagnus; 02-17-11 at 14:58.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    First thing to do is ditch the plastic rod. You should be using a brass detent that is only about 1/8th of a inch long. Sometimes it is difficult to get the end plate in place without bending the spring but it can be done. Just make sure the spring is inserted all of the way into the detent hole and use a pair of tweezers or something similar to hold the spring straight while you are pushing the end plate into place.
    American by birth, southern by the grace of American Van Lines

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/z...l_launcher.gif

Feedback Score
    Altramagnus,

Thankyou Sir for your quick reply.

Gentlemen,

I'm sorry about the last post. I just found my problem. The metal detent of the Colt was still there. What I thought was the detent on the floor was one from the Plum Crazy lower a friend purchased for me.
    I switched stocks because I can not wait until my OEM stock comes in. I was unknowingly placing the plastic detent over the existing detent making the spring protrude too far.
    Next time I won't jump the gun so quickly. Thanks anyway, Don

Feedback Score
    ghostman1960,

Thank you also Sir for your reply.

Feedback Score
    HAHA no problem bro. Glad you figured it out.

Ghost - Glad you were paying attention, I didn't even catch he was using a plastic detent.

Shawn

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don60 View Post
    Altramagnus,

Thankyou Sir for your quick reply.

Gentlemen,

I'm sorry about the last post. I just found my problem. The metal detent of the Colt was still there. What I thought was the detent on the floor was one from the Plum Crazy lower a friend purchased for me.
    I switched stocks because I can not wait until my OEM stock comes in. I was unknowingly placing the plastic detent over the existing detent making the spring protrude too far.
    Next time I won't jump the gun so quickly. Thanks anyway, Don
    At least you came here for advice instead of somewhere else. At least you realized you needed help instead of breaking something. You get lots of credit for that. Welcome to M4C.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Thanks Guy's,

I'm really loving it here.

This is already getting addictive.