Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More than one SBR Upper

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

More than one SBR Upper

Can I have more than one SBR upper for the same registered lower? Or am I limited to one upper at any given time? My registration lists several calibers, so can I have all three uppers at the same time? I did a search and found no clear answer. Any help is appreciated.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mac37 View Post
    Can I have more than one SBR upper for the same registered lower? Or am I limited to one upper at any given time? My registration lists several calibers, so can I have all three uppers at the same time? I did a search and found no clear answer. Any help is appreciated.
    Basically yes.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mac37 View Post
    I dont have the document in hand, but you can use multiple sbr uppers on a legally registered SBR lower. If your Form 4 as "multi" as the caliber, (lucky SOB) then you can use those calibers on your SBR.

I drafted a letter to the ATF and let them know I planned on using my SBRd lower in different configurations and mailed it in registered mail, but received no written confirmation from them about it though.....

Feedback Score
    You can have as many uppers as you want as long as you have that registered lower.

Best rule of thumb I've heard is just don't have any built lowers floating around your safe. Constructive intent and all

Feedback Score
    Yes, but as has been mentioned, don't get caught with additional unregistered lower(s) that do not have an attached 16"> upper though. If you only have one registered lower then you are ok with several short uppers other than the length you listed on your form 1 or 4 & different calibers if you so chose. If it's gonna be a permanent length change other than what you've listed the ATF asks that you send them a letter advising such so they can annotate this in the registry.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." --George Orwell--

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the quick replys.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Is there a ATF form for listing multi-caliber, or barrel lengths? Or do you just send a well written letter advising them that you want to run several calibers and Bbl lengths?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Swapping an upper is not a permanent modification. Several of my Title II dealers have told me they have letters stating that non-permanent alterations to firearms like the AR or M16 do not need letters to the NFA branch "asking for permission".

There is nothing stating that you can't swap uppers in mutliple calibers. It's not like Rem 700 SBR where if you changed the barrel it could be viewed as a permanent alteration of its caliber.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    Swapping an upper is not a permanent modification. Several of my Title II dealers have told me they have letters stating that non-permanent alterations to firearms like the AR or M16 do not need letters to the NFA branch "asking for permission".

There is nothing stating that you can't swap uppers in mutliple calibers. It's not like Rem 700 SBR where if you changed the barrel it could be viewed as a permanent alteration of its caliber.
    Not sure if this was in response to me, but I stated if it's going to be a permanent change in bbl length they ask that you inform them. Merely swapping uppers back & forth obviously doesn't fit this. I guess if you have several uppers & then you go to running one length that's different from what's listed on the form 1 or 4 the rest of the time you own the registered lower then this could prolly be construed as a permanent change. I've never known anyone to be challenged on that by a agent though, so owning mulitiple lengths to swap between isn't gonna be a prob.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." --George Orwell--

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunny View Post
    Not sure if this was in response to me...
    It was a general response, following the thread direction.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast