Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: More than one SBR Upper

Midland, Ga (25 Miles North East of Fort Benning)
    Feedback Score
    I still would rather show Barny my Form 1 or 4, than to sit around with a fashionable set of silver bracelets in a swank 8 foot by 8 foot hotel room until an ATF agent shows up or until the get a hold of NFA branch. I would even go as far as explaining the process to him and maybe teaching him a little bit. Now saying that if Barny still wants to throw me in the clink after I show him my form than I think that my lawyer and what ever municipality that he worked for would have to some sort of financial understanding. And I would insure that the ATF was involved because the weapons were taken by a person not in my trust

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek_Connor View Post
    Pure and simple...fear.
    I'm getting that feeling too. If someone doesn't understand the NFA stuff, yet feels the need to question you, how are MORE documents going to clarify any "situation" that arises??

In short, non-permanent changes are okie dokie with the NFA Branch of the BATFE. If I show an inquisitive officer of a local PD a copy of my F1 or F4, are they going to understand what it says, or means? Will showing them a lengthy letter, written in legalese, help or confuse matters?

How many people have been asked for their paperwork by LE?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by keatsabn View Post
    I still would rather show Barny my Form 1 or 4, than to sit around with a fashionable set of silver bracelets in a swank 8 foot by 8 foot hotel room until an ATF agent shows up or until the get a hold of NFA branch. I would even go as far as explaining the process to him and maybe teaching him a little bit. Now saying that if Barny still wants to throw me in the clink after I show him my form than I think that my lawyer and what ever municipality that he worked for would have to some sort of financial understanding. And I would insure that the ATF was involved because the weapons were taken by a person not in my trust
    More power to you, but I'm not sure a stack of paperwork is going to help "Barney Fife" understand what he doesn't know.

Assuming the LE that approaches you knows what he is looking at, your F1 or F4 should be sufficient. If they don't know, they won't understand that they don't know.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    This site is weird! Not one single reply saying to store the extra upper at your grandma's house or some nutty shit!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek_Connor View Post
    Pure and simple...fear.

Same reason why some people photo copy their form 4s to fit in their wallet, stocks, underneath the brim of their hat so just incase ANYONE asks about your paperwork you have it...

purely speculation
    It's more about being proactive and using one's intelligence and common sense than anything else. If you choose to ignore the possibility that not having these documents can get you into trouble; then don't whine and complain when some anti-gun ATF Agent does call you out and provides you with a nice set of chrome handcuffs until they can clear up the issue.

It's akin to skydiving without a reserve parachute: I WOULD RATHER HAVE IT AND NEVER NEED IT, THAN NEED IT AND NOT HAVE IT!! It's the same reason I carry a concealed handgun everywhere I go (legally, of course).

FWIW, I have a color copy of my Form 1 and any other forms I may need to be able to transport my SBR in my i-Shot case. That way the SBR never goes anywhere without these.
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosDJackal View Post
    It's more about being proactive and using one's intelligence and common sense than anything else. If you choose to ignore the possibility that not having these documents can get you into trouble; then don't whine and complain when some anti-gun ATF Agent does call you out and provides you with a nice set of chrome handcuffs until they can clear up the issue.
    If someone, ATF agent/local sheriff/local PD/game warden/mall security wants to detain you to clear up "what looks like a forged government document and letter" they will find a way to do it.

I don't care if you have a stack of letters. A stack of Form 1's. Or a stack of bibles to swear on your mother's life that the item is registered and you are not lying....

An accompanying badge might help you, but from your scenario that you envision happening -- it might not.

The ATF has written before, to many, many NFA owners, that non-permanent changes to a registered weapon, do not need to be itemized to them.

Do whatever floats your boat, but continuing to write them letters only opens the logs to more and more and more INTERPRETIVE rulings by their directors.

Which is never a good thing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123