Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mora Knives Only

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Great post, Neo. I'll definitely take all that into consideration. How often do you have to sharpen yours?

Feedback Score
    hmm thats a tough question. When i am using mine while in the bush or teaching a class, i will "sharpen" it after 4-5 days. However i sometimes will "steel and strop" my knife after uses which allows me to go longer with out sharpening. I also like my knife very very sharp, and use it very heavily. I know students that carry one and use it a few times a day and havent had to sharpen it yet.

Keep in mind if im teachign something like friction fire i will be continuously fixing peoples notches and carving sets for almost 2 hours. So my level of use is different then most.

Carbon holds an edge way better then stainless steel though, and the single bevel of a mora is the tits. Most american knives youll find have a double bevel that is inferior in my opinion. I do love moras, and for the price point they cant be beat. The knives that i like better then moras are around 200$ per knife. This buys me full tang, beefier tip, and better sheath. Though not neccisarily a better steel or edge. Hard to get that when compared to a mora

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    NeoNeanderthal, thank you for your first hand information.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    Which model/blade length do you recommend NeoNeanderthal?

I found many different versions.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have a couple of Moras running around. I have a thrasher Kellam that I have my students use for specific cutting tasks and an ornate Helle that I wear/use when I am a acting like a "local" at work.

I love them for their feel and keen edge. I do not, however, use them as a general purpose survival knive. I use them for fine cutting and specific purposes.

Feedback Score
    Got my first mora for 5 bucks at gunshow. Had a problem with rust with carbon steel mora on a backpacking trip.

Feedback Score
    There is a group of Mora lovers that hang out at the Bushcraft USA forums (http://bushcraftusa.com/forum), and who get good results from them.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If you're looking for a great resource to find Moras and other Scandinavian style knives, here's a great resource:

http://www.ragweedforge.com/

Feedback Score
    I went with the Mora 2000 because it has one of the longest tangs. From the X-ray pictures I've seen it is a 3/4 tang.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think it is some kind of mystique thing with the Mora... A stated above in another post, there are some serious shortcomings in making a Mora a "primary" knife, especially a primary survival knife... And this is coming from one with Swedish bloodlines...

For an extra blade tossed here and there (vehicle, tool box, fishing box, desk drawer, etc...), then it seems it fits the bill...

Rmpl
    Last edited by Rmplstlskn; 03-28-11 at 08:06.
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast