Thread: Barnes 55gr. TSX Vs. Glass (10.5" @ 150yds)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Barnes 55gr. TSX Vs. Glass (10.5" @ 150yds)

Hi guys, some of you may know that I have been exploring a recent project of mine which is a MRP CQB 10.5" build and this little test below is part of that.

Basically I just wanted to see how exactly a good barrier round in combination with a SBR would do against glass at a significantly longer range than is typically associated with SBR's. That is why I decided to run this little experiment @ 150yds. It's pretty straight forward and I made sure to take quite a few pics so that they could do as much of the illustrating and explaining as possible. At any rate, I got a kick outta doing this small experiment this morning and was surprised that I got the results I did...didn't have but one chance to do it since I only had the one side window piece of glass.

Test was performed using a MRP CQB/ Rock 10.5" CL 1/7 5.56. Ammo used was the Barnes 55gr TSX. The test was performed at a distance of 150yds. I believe everything else should be self explanatory.

BEFORE.....

(truck in the background is where the test round was fired from)

AFTER....

Feedback Score
    Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I'm contemplating a very similiar build this year, possibly for work use, and I've been wondering what kind of penetration I would get against car bodies and glass at extended SBR range.
    It looks like the Barnes bullet lives up to its reputation once again.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    NICE! Very cool nugget of research.

I'd love to have seen a gallon of water right behind the glass/in front of the phone books.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Doesn't the angle of auto-glass, in addition to its construction, contribute to penetration difficulties?

Feedback Score
    Angle of glass is a factor, as is composition--side windows are easier to defeat than front windshields. Also, water is a better medium to "collect" to projectile, than telephone books. Finally, the 5.56 mm BH 50 gr TSX tends to work better than the .223 55 gr TSX loadings.