Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: American Eagle XM855 must be rejected military ammo.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

American Eagle XM855 must be rejected military ammo.

I just received a half a case I ordered last week. Out of two sample boxes I pulled out of the shipping box, every single round is slightly dented at the shoulder and the cases are tarnished pretty badly. Also the green paint on the tips are mostly worn off. I am sure the stuff will shoot okay. It just does not exactly give me confidence in looking at it. I am just going to put it aside for a rainy day and stick with my Privi Partisan stuff for now.
    American by birth, southern by the grace of American Van Lines

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/z...l_launcher.gif

Feedback Score
    Where did you order it from? what types of labels/markings are on the box? Lot numbers? Dates? This info would help.

Feedback Score
    Military ammo is not polished on the cases, so you will see discoloration and tarnishing around the necks and down the case. I still have lots of Q3131A Israeli (very close to M193 specification from what I read) ammo and some of it is a little dinged up and all of it discolored. I also have some Federal/Lake City 55 gr and 62 gr that is similar in appearance on the brass.

As far as dings and scratches IDK if they care about that up to a certain point. I have never had any Lake City or other military contract type ammo that was too badly beat up. Maybe you can show pics so people can judge on the severity of the case damage and whether or not that would be acceptable or cause the ammo to be rejected?
    Last edited by BrianS; 02-21-11 at 14:21.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heartland Hawk View Post
    Where did you order it from? what types of labels/markings are on the box? Lot numbers? Dates? This info would help.
    I ordered it from AIM. The boxes are olive drab green that say American Eagle XM855 with a eagle on the front. The lot number is SMQ09F302S870. All of the warnings and writing on the back of the box are in English and French. The only date on the box I can find is 2010 F.CC

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I have a few cases of it too. Mine wasn't great either looking but every round went bang...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
    Military ammo is not polished on the cases, so you will see discoloration and tarnishing around the necks and down the case. I still have lots of Q3131A Israeli (very close to M193 specification from what I read) ammo and some of it is a little dinged up and all of it discolored. I also have some Federal/Lake City 55 gr and 62 gr that is similar in appearance on the brass.

As far as dings and scratches IDK if they care about that up to a certain point. I have never had any Lake City or other military contract type ammo that was too badly beat up. Maybe you can show pics so people can judge on the severity of the case damage and whether or not that would be acceptable or cause the ammo to be rejected?

Feedback Score
    I have ammo from that same damn lot.
    Its perfectly fine if you don't want it ill take it.
    Military cases are not polished like commercial ammo the discoloration is from the annealing process it takes on a patina after time the dents are of no concern they also have black spochis from the tar like water sealant on them to which is also not a concern.

Will add pick up a box of XM80C the cases look like they were put in a tumbler with drive way gravel.
    Last edited by Thomas M-4; 02-21-11 at 14:40.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MK18Pilot View Post
    I have a few cases of it too. Mine wasn't great either looking but every round went bang...
    I have no doubt that it will shoot. I just think it rejected military ammo repackaged for commercial sale.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas M-4 View Post
    I have ammo from that same damn lot.
    Its perfectly fine if you don't want it ill take it.
    Military cases are not polished like commercial ammo the discoloration is from the annealing process it takes on a patina after time the dents are of no concern they also have black spochis from the tar like water sealant on them to which is also not a concern.
    I know it will shoot. I am just saying its rejected military ammo. I have surplus Privi Partisan that has discoloration from the annealing but none of it is dented.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostman1960 View Post
    I know it will shoot. I am just saying its rejected military ammo. I have surplus Privi Partisan that has discoloration from the annealing but none of it is dented.
    Left over's that were shoveled off the floor and dumped into a 55 gallon drum before being packaged up.

I would look them over give them the MK1 eye ball check make sure they are straight and that the case neck was not rolled over when the bullet was set and crimped. I have never had to throw any of them away has of yet. But I have had to chuck a few Win Q3131 cases because of the for-mentioned problems. But I haven't had to do any Federal yet. I have over two 5gallon buckets full of XM LC brass.
    For kicks look at some Fed XM80 those cases don't have one shiny spot on them they look as if they were tumbled in a gravel pit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast