Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking hard at a OBR

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mstennes View Post
    I pretty much only use 175 gr home rolled, in my bolt gun. I have been shooting AR's for quite some time, but never a gas gun for long range, heck its time to jump in. I was curious as the difference from a 20" AR to a 18" AR using a rifle action gas system is less than 10 fps, so I was curious what the 308's difference was. The thing I like about a 18" its quicker, and much handier.

Knights has stated the difference in velocity between 20" and 16" was less than 100FPS.

Im no expert at this but I think you really only see good 308 velocities once you get up into the 24-26" barrel length ranges. If you are looking at 18" vs. 20" its splitting hairs performance wise but I would say the 18" is 2" less than the 20" which gives you a greater handiness than you lose from the 2" velocity wise.

Ive found my EMC to be very effective at 750. Ive only shot it to 1k a few times but out to 750 its very accurate. I wouldn't worry so much about barrel length but ensuring the gun has the accuracy & reliability, your optic meets your needs, and the ammo you are using is good for those ranges.

For 1k/(+) I would be shooting a bolt gun in either a high BC caliber and/or a magnum like 300WM/6.5/338.

I am lucky enough my regular range is 1k yards, and the magnum bolt guns rule the roost at 1k. At 750 I am able to engage targets just as accurately and much quicker than the bolt gun guys.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    Knights has stated the difference in velocity between 20" and 16" was less than 100FPS.

Im no expert at this but I think you really only see good 308 velocities once you get up into the 24-26" barrel length ranges. If you are looking at 18" vs. 20" its splitting hairs performance wise but I would say the 18" is 2" less than the 20" which gives you a greater handiness than you lose from the 2" velocity wise.

Ive found my EMC to be very effective at 750. Ive only shot it to 1k a few times but out to 750 its very accurate. I wouldn't worry so much about barrel length but ensuring the gun has the accuracy & reliability, your optic meets your needs, and the ammo you are using is good for those ranges.

For 1k/(+) I would be shooting a bolt gun in either a high BC caliber and/or a magnum like 300WM/6.5/338.

I am lucky enough my regular range is 1k yards, and the magnum bolt guns rule the roost at 1k. At 750 I am able to engage targets just as accurately and much quicker than the bolt gun guys.
    Now to add more into the fray, a buddy of mine just got a LMT 308 in 16" SS, he said they can be had in 18" and 20" but were out of 18's. He said he went that way as they won the British sniper trials, and included BUIS, sling, better manual and the ability to change barrels easy, all for less than the OBR.

Feedback Score
    The 18" 7.62 OBR will get to 1000 no problem.

I did it 4x in a row at the 2010 Larue Range Day (because my spotter was kickass).

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_0811 View Post
    The 18" 7.62 OBR will get to 1000 no problem.

I did it 4x in a row at the 2010 Larue Range Day (because my spotter was kickass).
    We saw 18" DPMS SASS rifles not get to 1k at 4800' at my brother's class in Wyoming. I believe they were running FGMM.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    For what it's worth, my 16in OBR with M118LR @ 2460FPS made consecutive hits @ 960yards. I'm sure 1000yards is doable.

Here's an AAR I did up on the Precision Rifle Class where I took my 960yard hits:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=72150

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Now to add more into the fray, a buddy of mine just got a LMT 308 in 16" SS, he said they can be had in 18" and 20" but were out of 18's. He said he went that way as they won the British sniper trials, and included BUIS, sling, better manual and the ability to change barrels easy, all for less than the OBR.
    You don't get out much do you? Just kidding, the LMT has been discussed ad nauseum for months and months in the Beyond 556 forum. Plenty to read if you are so inclined.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TXSUT View Post
    You don't get out much do you? Just kidding, the LMT has been discussed ad nauseum for months and months in the Beyond 556 forum. Plenty to read if you are so inclined.
    I have read there, problem is what I feel I'm looking for is right here in precision semis, forum what I saw there was how "how about", "my" "whats the", I have narrowed it down to either the LMT or OBR, 18" barrel, now its really what are the pros and cons of those two rifles? I was hoping real accuracy shooters who own either of these two would chime in, and share their thoughts, observations, etc
    ETA, Allot of the LMT discussions are with the chrome lined 16". barrel, I'm looking for more a target, vs MBR
    Last edited by mstennes; 02-23-11 at 10:01.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    I have read there, problem is what I feel I'm looking for is right here in precision semis, forum what I saw there was how "how about", "my" "whats the", I have narrowed it down to either the LMT or OBR, 18" barrel, now its really what are the pros and cons of those two rifles? I was hoping real accuracy shooters who own either of these two would chime in, and share their thoughts, observations, etc
    ETA, Allot of the LMT discussions are with the chrome lined 16". barrel, I'm looking for more a target, vs MBR

I would get the OBR.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    I would get the OBR.
    Me too. One of the best places for researching this is snipershide.com/forum

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I love mine, hence why I'm consolidating down my .308s lately.
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast