Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Is a 6.8 spc worth it?

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For hunting applications, I've taken two mule deer with my 6.8

One with the 120 SST and the other with the 115 MSR Fusions - both factory loads. Bucks dropped at 15 and 50 yards.

SST had no exit wound and no blood trail.

Fusion had massive blood trail and exit wound. Sticking with the fusion going forward.

Fun round to shoot and impressed with the knockdown power so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Killed a LOT of deer and pigs with the 6.8 over the last 7 years or so..

My go to load right now is the 120 SST after using just about every factory ammo and bullet type in handloads out there.
    Charles Coker

Disclosure statement:
    Pro Staff - Silencer Shop
    Dealer - Armasight and Steiner Optics
    Affiliated with Trijicon, Wilson Combat and Crux Suppressors

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ccoker View Post
    Killed a LOT of deer and pigs with the 6.8 over the last 7 years or so..

My go to load right now is the 120 SST after using just about every factory ammo and bullet type in handloads out there.
    The SST seems to be the go-to load for many pig hunters.

It was definitely effective on deer for me, but the risk of injuring a buck that leaves no blood trail makes me uncomfortable. I don't hunt hogs but I don't know if I'd be as concerned about losing and injured hog.

Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Hogs are a heck of a lot tougher than a thin skinned deer - although a rutting buck can do some amazing things at times.

Unless you're hunting and pushing deer in the thick swamps blood trails are over rated IMO. But there are two lines of though, Exit wound for blood trail, and dump all of the energy INSIDE the animal. I'm of the latter opinion and prefer no exit. All but one deer or hog has dropped DRT to Hornady SST, AMAX and BTHP - yes shot placement counts but this is also from my experience on stationary and on running game from 25-200 yds. No headshots, only double lung, heart right behind the shoulder.
    Last edited by jethroUSMC; 11-21-16 at 17:13.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    2016 Hunting harvest for two of us that hunt together with 6.8's:
    2 Pronghorn Antelope
    2 Deer (whitetail and a Muley)
    1 Cow Elk.

Truly enjoy the hunting application of this cartridge.

Feedback Score
    Just shot a deer a couple days ago, pretty good size whitetail. Used a handload of Sierra 110 pro hunters and 24.0 grns H4198. Hit just above the heart, was a through and through both lungs. Ran about 40 yards and dropped. To be honest while it worked, the exit wound didnt look much bigger than the entry. I'm thinking at these velocities it didnt expand much.....Tac medic you took an elk with a 6.8? What load and results?
    Last edited by diving dave; 11-26-16 at 10:12.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    One of my good friends did. He did not plan on taking such a shot at distance, he intended on getting closer and it did not happen. The shot was 422 yards, 110 grain Sierra BTHP match. It was a large Cow. Perfect shot placement. He hit her once, a lethal shot, however she stood and would not move as the herd took off. He hit her once more, and she laid down. We do not intend on applying the 6.8 to elk again unless it is closer range and with 120-130 Berger VLD or perhaps Nosler Accubond. I took my elk with a .308. I just watched a bull drop 3 days ago that I spotted for a buddy and he took it with a 7mm Mag at 325 yards. Bull took two steps and fell over dead. Devastating shot on his right shoulder, piercing some bone in the shoulder, breaking a rib and liquifying the heart. I would like to get a 7mm Mag or 300 mag for sure.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Bumping this in hopes of more input.

Seriously considering a build I had put off for quite a while

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I'm glad you bumped it. I would like to know if anything has really changed in ammo/components, general availability of parts, people's expiriences and so on.

"Seriously considering a build I had put off for quite a while." is where I am at as well.

Andy

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast