Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite BU rear sight?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by warpigM-4 View Post
    Chopped Colt Handle that was already sighted in.start to finish took all of 30 minutes used a dremel with a cutting disk and smoothed and rounded the edges with a file.

Love it. Totally satisfies the KISS and ingenuity side of me.. Tres cool! Next time I run across an inexpensive handle, I'm going to give this a shot.

I have Magpul Gen II, Troy, and whatever comes on the rear of a Colt 6940, BUIS--I prefer the Troys...
    Last edited by Rhino-1; 09-26-11 at 15:54.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Currently run a troy behind my acog. I certainly havent tried them all but I like the troys profile in both height and width with no knobs to get bumped or crowd the charging handle.

I had a larue behind my old aimpoint setup and loved it. There are certainly cheaper options, but i thought the larue was both simple and a great looking piece. It will find its way onto an iron sight only back up carbine one of these days. I like both the troy and the larue as the windage adjustment is out of the way and hard to mess up. I personally have no use for turning knobs if im not making wind calls during a NRA/CMP match.

I dont think of myself as very experienced with tactical rifles, but have plenty of instances of exposed knobs on all sorts of sight and rifles, getting bumped, turned, getting gummy and working loose. With their plethora of screws, pins, springs, and detents its not suprising. And the dude from page 4 should know the marvel of a rear sight on the M1 and M14 will come apart on you in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by sgtrock82; 09-26-11 at 18:00.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Troys are what are installed on many of the weapons in Call of Duty - Black Ops, so they must be the best.

Although they appear to be installed backwards....

Feedback Score
    Matech!
    By now your name and particulars have been fed into every laptop, desktop, mainframe and supermarket scanner that collectively make up the global information conspiracy otherwise known as "THE BEAST."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    KAC 200-600M Micros for me. They are the only flip-up that I know of that will fit under a NV mount. It's close, but they fit. I also like the elevation adjustability. Best sights that money can buy in my opinion.

ARKAR
    Last edited by ARKAR; 09-27-11 at 06:14.

Feedback Score
    I'm back on the hunt for a BUIS. I recently acquired an ACOG TA44SG-10 and did not like the lack of eye relief. In a roundabout way it got traded for an Aimpoint T-1, which I am liking more and more.

What I'm finding I definitely do not like is a cowitness with the rear iron sight. I like the dot to sit on the front sight post, but having it cowitness with the rear sight makes the view claustrophobic IMHO. I haven't had a chance to try it at the range yet, but I'm liking the uncluttered sight picture of the T-1. I also quickly saw why most photos you see of T-1's show them mounted pretty far forward on the flat top receiver. I also notice, for example in the Bravo Company catalog, that most photos show T-1's being used in conjunction with a folding rear sight, so evidently I'm not the only one that prefers not to cowitness.

So....I'm back to looking for a folding rear sight.

Re-reading this thread I see Troy gets a lot of good votes, but I'm uncomfortable with these rumblings of "aperture wander" to half cock as the sight loosens with use. I ultimately sold the PRI folding sight I mentioned earlier in this thread because I could see it having the same problem, that is, that there is nothing that really solidly locks the aperture on one setting or the other.

I couldn't find much on this site about the YHM BUIS, unless it's buried in another topic.

Anybody have any experience with this:

http://yhm.net/index.php?main_page=p...products_id=16

or the A-1 style version:

http://www.cctactical.com/store/pc/Y...ght-59p524.htm

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Any reason you keep ignoring the KAC?
    Semper Paratus Certified AR15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Any reason you keep ignoring the KAC?
    Price. A quick Google searched turned up prices of $149 to over $200 depending on outlet. Even Grant is out of the KAC 300m at $144.00.

I have not ruled it out.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    Re-reading this thread I see Troy gets a lot of good votes, but I'm uncomfortable with these rumblings of "aperture wander" to half cock as the sight loosens with use. I ultimately sold the PRI folding sight I mentioned earlier in this thread because I could see it having the same problem, that is, that there is nothing that really solidly locks the aperture on one setting or the other.
    I'm right with you on this. I highly suspect that my Troy apertures will not "stay put" over time. I recently purchased a PRI and have reached the same conclusion. (Now I wonder if I should return it.)

I have no experience with the YHM sights, but I have played around with the GG&G BUIS (standard A2 Back Up Iron Sight) and am very satisfied with the "lock up" of the aperture; I don't think that it will shift or loosen with use. It is the older A2 style "offset" aperture (i.e., not same plane). I am not satisfied with the price on the same plane apertures (+$45) or with the fact that they are using someone else's aperture to manufacture them (XS). Also, GG&G has retained the larger windage knob (which is quite unnecessary, as Troy and PRI have shown).

Can't anyone make a flip up BUIS with a same plane aperture that (we can be assured) will not loosen up?
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    KAC 200-600M for me.

I've used quite a few BUIS'. By far I like the KAC BUIS the best.

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast