Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: What's your favorite BU rear sight?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I've been using Hahns on several carbines for a few years now and like them as much now as I did when I first bought them. Great sights!
    I like the concept of the Hahn, but I cannot get over the set-screws. I don't like it. Why? Because I feel like SOMETHING needs to press against the face of a 1913 rail to keep something from creeping under recoil. All of my LaRue and Bobro mounts clamp very solid to the rail...and yet when I remove them,there is wear on the foot where it contacts the face of the 1913 rail under recoil, telling me that they WOULD creep if not for that interface.

As I understand it, nylon tip screws press DOWN on the TOP of the rail segment. There is nothing then but friction to keep fore-aft movement at bay, and I want a solid physical interference.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Kac 600 micro. Shocking I know.
    "You get what you pay for"

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    One thing that annoyed me about the DD A1.5 that caused me to buy the Magpul Pro rear BUIS is that it is NOT same-plane aperture.

I did replace the aperture with one from Blackhawk!, but I just don't feel good about it no-matter how "pretty" it looks. It was the only same-plane A2 style that had aperture openings near mil-spec size.

On an SBR, you may get well over 5 MOA vertical shift using a regular A2 aperture.

I bought the MBUS Pro because (I don't have it yet, so this is just what I read...):

-Dual aperture arrangement with same-plane.
    -Spring/detent keeps it up, and apertures in-place...if it gets a hard slam, it may fold (although Magpul states it passed a 6-axis drop est on a loaded out M4 without folding...), but won't break. I think of it like the mirrors on a car.
    -Adjustment wheel is not easily turned, and is not "in the way" like A2 style wheels.
    -Does not have a useless elevation adjustment.
    -Same weight as the DD.
    -I feel like if what I read above is correct, it can be run "BUIS up" 100% of the time if you want to with zero detriment points for that usage.
    I will admit I'm not a fan of Blackhawk! in general, but what is it about their same plane sight that you don't like?
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    I will admit I'm not a fan of Blackhawk! in general, but what is it about their same plane sight that you don't like?
    The name on the packaging. I have trust issues and have not shot with it, yet.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    The name on the packaging. I have trust issues and have not shot with it, yet.
    I can understand that. Their name isn't closely associated with high quality from what I've seen.

Did you consider the XS same plane aperture at all?

I would still be curious to hear your thoughts after trying out the Blackhawk aperture.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    I can understand that. Their name isn't closely associated with high quality from what I've seen.

Did you consider the XS same plane aperture at all?

I would still be curious to hear your thoughts after trying out the Blackhawk aperture.
    It should arrive tomorrow. Fit/finish of the Blackhawk is fine. Live fire is needed to really test it, or at least zero the irons to the dot and flip apertures, that would work okay for quick/dirty.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    It should arrive tomorrow. Fit/finish of the Blackhawk is fine. Live fire is needed to really test it, or at least zero the irons to the dot and flip apertures, that would work okay for quick/dirty.
    Good deal. Please post back here when you've had a chance to try out the new Magpuls.
    Steve

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am really impressed with how low the rear MBUS Pro is. A while ago I demo'd carving out a notch to accommodate a short eye relief ACOG.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=66462

Just for S&Gs, I swapped the notched Brownells sight for the MBUS Pro, and it fit without any modification. There is barely enough room between the sight and the rear of the ACOG to do this -- about the width of a business card -- but it will fit without benefit of a Dremel tool.

This is not because the sight is so low as to completely fit beneath the ACOG, but because of the combination of the low sight and its geometry. I suspect that Magpul decided to make the sight from steel to permit strength without the bulk of aluminum. I'll have to compare the weights of some other BUIS to see whether the MBUS Pro is heavier, and by how much. (The rear MBUS Pro is 52 grams or 1.85 oz; the front is 44 grams or 1.5 oz.)
    Last edited by Amicus; 09-13-13 at 17:10.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    How "positive" is the windage adjustment if the KAC micro 300m unit? Accidentally adjustable?

How positively is the stalk retained in the up or down position?

Anyone know what metal/finish they are?
    Last edited by WS6; 09-14-13 at 04:32.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324