Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Who manufactures M16 headspace gauge

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRH View Post
    The headspace is almost all in in the barrel extension. AR-15s are nice that way. If your bolt locks on a live round and you are 4x4.
    OK--GOOD to know. Just found out I got Grant's last BCM and Bill Ricca got back to me and he's out of the gages. I might just pass--or at worstcase order the Brownells gage and mill relief cuts myself.

Thank you sir!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Bert View Post
    Can someone please explain to me the reasoning for a non-armorer to have a headspace guage? If you are not installing a barrel extension, why on earth would you need one? Is there a problem with headspace changing on an M4/AR that I am not aware of?

Just trying to understand better!

Thanks.
    I don't know about you, but in the 45+ years since they were issued to me I've grown kind of partial to my hands and face. OEM replacements are not available and aftermarket parts don't perform as well.

Think of a 50,000psi bomb going off inches from your face & hands and you might gain a clearer picture of why some folks might want to know if their rifle is properly headspaced. Are you willing to trust that everything is correct just because a round will chamber? A case rupture is nothing to sneer at.

Frankly, to consider rebarreling a centerfire rifle (yes, even an AR) without checking headspace is pure and simple foolishness.

Feedback Score
    Funny, I was just looking for a cut field gauge. Sad to see Bill Ricca is out - I was going to grab one from him at the next show.

Here is my pitch to have cut 5.56 NATO headspace gauges made available.

Feedback Score
    Wheeler made a Go gauge for a short period that was cut down on the end.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Forster still hasn't been swayed to produce one yet...maybe a couple more emails and phone calls??

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Any new info on where to find an M-16 field gauge that is pre-cut?
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'd like to know why everyone is too lazy to remove the ejector. It is easy and doesn't take much time. Gives you a reason to clean and inspect the parts and it's the correct way to do things.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserkr556 View Post
    I'd like to know why everyone is too lazy to remove the ejector. It is easy and doesn't take much time. Gives you a reason to clean and inspect the parts and it's the correct way to do things.
    Do you replace the ejector pin every time you check head space? How long does it take you to head space multiple weapons? I've seen them check the headspace on a small arms room (under 200 rifles) in a morning using the GI gauge, It would take a long time to do it your way.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Worth checking eBay or surplus sites. Picked mine up years ago from a surplus dealer at knob creek new in the vapor inhibitor wrap with a maintenance schedule card for a few bucks.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Found the card and the gage appears to have been made by this place in 1990.

http://www.amprecision.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345