Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rattle Can Paint Job? Check this out

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    ha, wow, I just did a google search for the Rustoleum Earth Brown..... that was the 1 color I decided to NOT get while I was at the hardware store..... looks like Im getting it on my way home today... Thanks
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    The biggest problem here is that computer monitors all display colors differently, and the only way to get anything close to true color fidelity is to have a properly calibrated monitor, typically a high-end one.

The idea could be useful if the same person using the same camera on the same background took the pictures and then color corrected them and posted them up. Then you could have at least an idea of the variations, if not the true colors.

It's a good idea though, and I can see where it would be very useful for those trying to decide on paint colors. Hopefully, given the shortcomings of color reproduction with computer monitors, someone will still be able to do some comparisons with images like these.

That being said, if you're painting with rattle cans, do yourself a favor and find/order some Aervoe. It is superior for these applications over almost all others and is worth the wait.

I think jwfuhrman's idea is sound, especially if the "swatches" got grouped in a way that showed colors that work well together for specific environments, and that this thread could turn out to hold some useful information. In light of that, y'all might want to watch and not turn it into another painted rifle thread, lest it get folded into the existing one or closed by a mod.
    “All falsehood is a mask, and however well made the mask may be, with a little attention we may always distinguish it from the true face.”

State of Franklin Training Group

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've used a lot of different paint on different guns over the years and as expected, they wear over time. I always thought, no big deal, sand, clean, repeat.

I never thought to use a spray primer prior to painting. Has anyone tried this and noticed a difference, especially in high wear areas or in plastic parts? I may try it on some of the work guns.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by $CashMoney$ View Post
    I've used a lot of different paint on different guns over the years and as expected, they wear over time. I always thought, no big deal, sand, clean, repeat.

I never thought to use a spray primer prior to painting. Has anyone tried this and noticed a difference, especially in high wear areas or in plastic parts? I may try it on some of the work guns.
    I'd like to know something similar. Anyone used a self-etching primer? I've used it on car parts and was curious if anyone had tried it on steel, plastic or aluminum rifle parts and whether the top coat lasted longer.
    Nothing man-portable is guaranteed to end a fight.

Feedback Score
    I use nothing but Aervoe camo paint. The "Light Coyote" is a dead match for FDE and the "Highland" is true Coyote Brown.

Mike

Feedback Score
    Good information here. I've used Duracoat a lot, but for my truck/coyote rifle, I have considered using the Krylon camo paints. But I hesitated to use it on the barrel. Does it stand up to a hot barrel without burning off?

I've never heard of Aervoe. I'm going to read up on it.

Thanks,

Will

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clod Stomper View Post
    Good information here. I've used Duracoat a lot, but for my truck/coyote rifle, I have considered using the Krylon camo paints. But I hesitated to use it on the barrel. Does it stand up to a hot barrel without burning off?

I've never heard of Aervoe. I'm going to read up on it.

Thanks,

Will
    Will,

Skip the Krylon and go straight to Aervoe. It's hard to qualify in words except to say that it's just better quality paint all around. It goes on better and is more durable.

As far as it goes, I spray painted my barrel, and the only loss of paint has occurred at the flash hider. Of course, I'm not doing full-auto beta mag dumps, and YMMV, but a lot of people have painted their barrels and not had any problems with the paint burning off.
    “All falsehood is a mask, and however well made the mask may be, with a little attention we may always distinguish it from the true face.”

State of Franklin Training Group

Feedback Score
    For those folks that were looking for them, if I remember correctly, the Krylon Camo: http://www.krylon.com/products/camou...on_technology/
    is available at Walmart, If I remember the colors available were black, khaki, olive and brown. The Rustoleum Camo which is available at Home Depot I think: http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=124
    The colors available were black, khaki, earth brown, forest green. I hope this helps the folks looking for them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RustedAce View Post
    I like Rustoleum Earth Brown.

That Earth Brown looks great.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I used Camo Paint and the rubber stuff that stops a silverware tray from sliding in the drawer to get the pattern.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast