Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt commando upper starting to get froggy

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Colt commando upper starting to get froggy

I had two guns start to act weird yesterday!

My recently SBR'd AR with Colt Commando Upper had two odd malfunctions yesterday. First, I had a failure to ignite. I didn't notice if it was out of battery. I just kicked it out. It worked on the second shot. The second malfunction was an empty case stuck above the bolt, oddly, with an unfired cartridge in the chamber (the empty case was sticking out of the ejection port.

Background,

I have had this upper for a long time (about 7 years), I have shot if with thousands of round of steel, 22, brass, etc. It has gone through many phases...

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ars&highlight=

I don't clean it religiously, but I do clean it every few outings. It isn't disgusting right now.

I was running it with 55 grain Hornaday Frontier. That ammo has run perfectly in every gun. I was shooting it with my Surefire Socom as usual. I will say recently I have been shooting it with Tula steel without the suppressor and it was running fine. I wonder if it is finally over gassed?

So, AR masters....What say you? Give me your best diagnostic tips and I will do what I need to do. If I have to replace the barrel and gas system I will probably just buy a whole new assembly. I really dig the way I have it setup these days..

IMG_2910 by stoiclawyer, on Flickr
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Check your extractor, replace the extractor spring and maybe install the little rubber gasket thingy.

If all else fail, give it to me.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Could also be the old shooting brass after shooting steel thing. Clean the chamber thoroughly, try again.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    You probably need a new barrel.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dumb Gun Collector View Post
    I was running it with 55 grain Hornaday Frontier.
    That's what we (in the high speed tactical community) call a "CLUE)!!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Is that not good ammo in your experience?
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dumb Gun Collector View Post
    Is that not good ammo in your experience?
    There was quite a bit of chatter in another thread about it being poor quality. The accuracy is awful, but the stuff we have shot did run ok. The bottom line is the ammo would be my first guess.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Yes, give the extractor a good cleanjng and inspection.

If the extractor spring has over 6,000 rounds on it, replacing it with a new Gold spring would be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Check your extractor, replace the extractor spring and maybe install the little rubber gasket thingy.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Clean, lube, another known decent brass ammo. If a no go, I'd go with a quality extractor assembly replacement.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I cleaned it up paying particular attention to the extractor and chamber.. Replaced the buffer spring (which was visibly shorter) and fired 100 rounds of federal 55. Functioned fine but noticed it was ejecting around 1 o'clock. Might be time for a h3-4 buffer?

Christopher Columbus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast